panic

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fromjersey

panic

#1 Post by fromjersey »

Now my brother has me nervous talking about jaw immobilization. What percentage of time is this done and for how long? I looked in "Search" but couldn't find anything. I think I would panic with my jaws wired shut. Suppose I have to cough and just get panicky?
Helen

mfconrad

#2 Post by mfconrad »

I just had surgery done 5 days ago and have had tight elastics holding my jaws shut constantly. I don't think wired jaws are common at all these days.

While it hurts my teeth to do so, I can open just enough to let liquids in and out. Maybe .5cm. I vomited once and it was suctioned out.

My main problem was breathing. My nose was plugged for days, and there isn't much room for air between my shut teeth. I use otravin (I hate that gross stuff) for a few days until things got better, and now I am using saline nose spray.

Every surgeon apparently has different immobilization practices. I am currently researching the different forum experiences concerning this topic now, because most of my discomfort is coming from the elastics. So I would like to remove them for meals.

I will say this: I don't think most people will get very panicked or claustrophobic with their mouth forced closed. For me that ranked far below mouth pain, stomach pain, difficulty breathing, neck pain from the bed, difficulty sleeping, and the hassle of eating.

fromjersey

panic

#3 Post by fromjersey »

mf: Thank you much for your response. It means a lot to me. I would like to hear from others on this too.
Helen

katemm06

#4 Post by katemm06 »

fromjersey - You might want to take some good painkillers or anxiety medicine after you have the surgery so that you don't get anxious if you are wired shut. Even if you get a splint (which seems more common practice) it still kind of feels like you are wired shut because there is only a little opening for liquids to go into the mouth. I could hardly open my mouth with the splint in for 6 days and it was not easy to stay calm.

mfconrad - Can you take the elastics out for a little bit each day? My OS said that I could take them out for 2 hours each day to give my mouth a break. Maybe you could ask your os about doing this. I hope you start to feel better soon.

Braced: 2005
SARPE: August 2005
Expander Removal: March 2006
Lower Jaw Surgery: January 9, 2007

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=15198

http://community.webshots.com/user/katemm06

fromjersey

panic

#5 Post by fromjersey »

katemm: I don't even know what a splint is. Can somebody please explain? Thanks so much.
Helen

katemm06

#6 Post by katemm06 »

A splint keeps your new bite in place. It is a little plastic type thing (almost like a retainer) that is specifically made by your os for you. It is put tightly in the mouth and you can't take it out. It has to be removed by the os. You can check mine out on the pictures link below.

The splint is put in during the actual surgery. Some are taken out before you wake up and some are kept in for days or weeks afterwards depending on the os.

Braced: 2005
SARPE: August 2005
Expander Removal: March 2006
Lower Jaw Surgery: January 9, 2007

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=15198

http://community.webshots.com/user/katemm06

katmpet

#7 Post by katmpet »

Ask your OS about relaxation medications etc. I had upper/lower/genio-had a splint and was "elastic" shut afterwards. I was stuffed up and panicked a fair bit as I threw up-disgusting :oops: My doctor perscribed ativan which is very mild-non habit forming and took the edge off. I wasn't on it for long but the first few days for me because I was sick-it really helped.