Zip n' Seal bags

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JJ

Zip n' Seal bags

#1 Post by JJ »

OK .. so I am just curious. My surgery is a long time away but never too early to start planning! Many of you have talked about these zip n' seal bags. Are these just regular old Zip Lock bags? (That's what we call them in canada anways). And how are you using them post surgery? Thanks for any responses.

katmpet

#2 Post by katmpet »

And as a fellow Canadian I couldn't find them any where in Canada-you have to order them from the USA. I found out too late but having had upper/lower on Nov. 27-if you can order them-get them. The syringe is awful although you can "make" your own version-email me if you would like to know how..

JJ

Thanks

#3 Post by JJ »

Thanks for the responses! I will try to order them ahead of time from their website.

nvcarissa

#4 Post by nvcarissa »

Same here. I bought a whole set of them and maybe used three...I was drinking from a cup pretty quickly even though I was wired shut for a week. Then I moved to "no chew" for six weeks, so didn't need the Zip-N-Squeezes for very long at all. Very nice in the hospital though.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

teresa5855

#5 Post by teresa5855 »

Hi, I'm 13 days post-op, I had double jaw surgery and I have elastic bands keeping my mouth in place. I can only open my mouth a tiny bit - almost not at all. Anyway, my surgeon's office gave me some of those zip bags in my pre-op bag, there are 2 different kinds, one for liquids and a stronger one with a thicker straw for soups, etc. Anyway I've just been using regular zip - lock bags that you get at the grocery store and filling them up and cutting a hole in a bottom corner and then I push the food into my tiny gap. Those bags the surgeon gave me are annoying to clean and the straw on the big one isn't even big enough to push through tiny baby soup pasta.

teresa5855

#6 Post by teresa5855 »

Hi, I'm 13 days post-op, I had double jaw surgery and I have elastic bands keeping my mouth in place. I can only open my mouth a tiny bit - almost not at all. Anyway, my surgeon's office gave me some of those zip bags in my pre-op bag, there are 2 different kinds, one for liquids and a stronger one with a thicker straw for soups, etc. Anyway I've just been using regular zip - lock bags that you get at the grocery store and filling them up and cutting a hole in a bottom corner and then I push the food into my tiny gap. Those bags the surgeon gave me are annoying to clean and the straw on the big one isn't even big enough to push through tiny baby soup pasta.

misskristen

didn't use them at all

#7 Post by misskristen »

I'm 4 weeks post op. Ordered some zip-n-squeeze bags about two weeks ago, they're still in the package. Never opened them. Started drinking from cups pretty quickly.

Kristen
http://bracemyself.blogspot.com/

teresa5855

#8 Post by teresa5855 »

Pureeing everything, to me is disgusting! If I can eat soup with some baby little round pasta in it to add a little texture, I totally choose that to pure liquid. I am on a strict no-chew diet for 6 weeks - 4 1/2 to go! I want texture and substance in my food. Anyway, that's what I do with all my food now, put it in a baggy and cut a whole in a bottom corner and push. It's the best! Last night i ate salad that i blended into coleslaw, rice that I blended down smaller and chicken that I blended into nothing practically and i mixed it all together and mmmm, mmmm, good! I never thought I would get to the point of blending all my food together but it actually just tasted like a chicken salad sandwich minus the bread. And then for dessert, vanilla ice cream with frozen raspberries that I blended into little pieces and some milk all mixed up and put in a baggie and pushed into my mouth! I'm totally getting the knack to this eating/no-chewing thing!

teresa5855

#9 Post by teresa5855 »

That's funny!! LOL! I don't swallow big chunks of anything as the gap between my teeth is only a couple millimeters, if that. That's another reason that I didn't like the zip n' seals because the straw is larger in diameter than the space between my teeth and it caused discomfort. Anyway, I blend up my food with enough liquid so that it's textured liquid. E.g. I just had a packet of quaker apple oats and added lots of water to mix it and then lots of milk so it's really runny but textured...and then I pour it into a zip lock bag and flatten a corner and cut it and place the flattened corner in between my teeth and eat it. I don't 'zip' the baggie but instead twist it tight before I cut the corner and that gives me the control to push the food in. And of course I can take it out and put it back in, just keeping the hole pointed up. It's really quite simple. Thanks for the giggle!

katmpet

#10 Post by katmpet »

Until you get use to slurping-when I was first banded at the hospital with the syringe I was taught how to drink with a tube that went to the very back of my jaw on the side obviously to where the gap is for your back teeth-or at least mine. Quickly they wanted me to use the cup so this was not for long but I am not sure how anyone else was banded but there was no putting anything between my teeth for oh 6 weeks..