Expander/Speech Difficulty

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

soulaghra

Expander/Speech Difficulty

#1 Post by soulaghra »

Hello, I wandered across this forum yesterday and I've already spent some time exploring the current topics, however I have studying to do so I can't search anymore at the moment. I just had my expander put in yesterday and while it was annoying, I didn't think too much of it until I went to my classes today. When I realized just how bad my speech is now, I nearly cried. I don't mean to sound insensitive, but the following description describes what I sound like most accurately; I sound as though I have a severe speech impediment, as though I have a learning disability. I'm at a loss! Does this go away eventually? I can't become mute, my courses require verbal communication and as an outspoken person, I really don't know how to handle this. Help, anyone??

kristiano8

#2 Post by kristiano8 »

I hear ya. I just had my expander put in today. I sound like Sylvester the Cat- and I'm drowning in my own saliva- I 'm finding it very hard to swallow. My OD told me that you get used to it after a few days- and he actually said my speech was pretty good even though I can't pronounce my TH and my S. I'm sure you'll get used to it in time.

overseasmel

#3 Post by overseasmel »

I definitely know how you feel. Here's an earlier blog of mine:

viewtopic.php?t=15504&highlight=

It does get better though, I promise!!

Time and perserverance pay :)

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

soulaghra

#4 Post by soulaghra »

Thank you for the replies everyone! I definitely am practicing, also I appreciate your link overseasmel, and I do sound like sylvester the cat, th and s are just going to be difficult I guess. Meryaten, I didn't mean to imply the two were one in the same. I also meant no harm, I didn't know how else to describe it.

clrv

#5 Post by clrv »

It does get better. I have had mine in for about 3 months now (see rant below). I drooled all over myself for the first week and tried not to talk. After about the first month my speech improved a lot. After 3 months my speech is back to normal. The only word that is difficult for me now is E.

My rant…. and it was my decision that I have had this thing in my mouth for 3 months and it has done nothing. I tried to expand with out surgery and it did not work. It tipped my teeth so I have two more turns to get back to the starting point. I will have surgery like now like I should have done in the beginning.

teresa5855

#6 Post by teresa5855 »

I had my expander put in a month after starting a new receptionist job. The whole experience with that stupid expander was absolutely horrible, from the way you talk to the way you end up looking, I covered my mouth with my hand until it came out. I never learned how to speak properly with it and I had mine in for over 3 months. I could never say anything with an 'eee' sound and my name is Teresa so I sounded like an idiot everyday. I honestly felt like people on the other end of the line probably thought I had some form of disability. I stayed away from social functions and tried to speak as little as possible. It does end though, one day. I look way better now that I had it done and I would do it again for the results. Good Luck!

soulaghra

#7 Post by soulaghra »

clrv, I'm very sorry, I would be quite upset if I had worn this 3 mos. longer than neccessary. I don't know why your orthodontist would allow that to happen, because the way it was explained to me, after about age 16, the expander won't help unless you have surgery to soften the sutures. Really, I can't imagine having to wear it longer than neccessary. My surgeon told me today that it will be about 6 months that I have to wear it, and needless to say, I'm not happy about it, but I realize it has to be done, and like I said, it's really nice to see that there are so many others doing the same thing as an adult. I hope you get on the right track soon! The words "you", "please", and "thank" are so difficult! People are going to start thinking me quite rude soon, as I'm trying to avoid them.

kristiano8

#8 Post by kristiano8 »

I'm happy to say after only two days I really think my speech is getting better as long as I talk a little slower and concentrate on the sounds coming out. Its eating that I can't really seem to master. Everything gets caught in between the roof of my mouth and the expander with every bite a take I take a sip of water and tilt my head back to help it slide down. And does anyone else wake up with their mouth wicked dry in the morning?

lemonlyme

#9 Post by lemonlyme »

Hey,

I've had my expander for almost 6 months! I still cant say some words..and it's really frustrating! 25 more days til it's out YEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Eating and such does get easier, but i gotta admit i still get frustrated when i try to say "geek" outloud ok "ck" DRIVES me nuts!

science teacher

expander

#10 Post by science teacher »

It's not that bad.... Having said that I still can't wait until it comes out.

I teach so I talk all the time, it really is a matter of practice. I do sound different but people understand everything I say.

As far as having to wear it for six months. that is negotiable. My ortho knows what a hassle it is to teach with it, so we will be moving to a TPA (trans palatal arch) device in April. My ortho is being very conservative to ensure that the expansion will not regress. Normal nonsurgical time is 3 months after expansion is complete. I will be wearing my expander 4 months and then the TPA for another 3 months or so.

Kim
SARPE 11/23/06
Expansion over 12/18/06 8.5mm
Brace day tops 1/15/07
Brace day bottoms 3/19/07
all expansion devices removed 9/19/07

soulaghra

#11 Post by soulaghra »

:shock: I cannot imagine having to answer phones or teach a class with this thing in. I was just thinking how much I hate having to talk on the phone lately. On the bright side, my phone bill is going to be zilch. I have been reading Brandyleigh35's blog lately, and it has been amazing. She mentioned in one of her posts something about how people didn't take her seriously because of her newfound speech impediment. It's really crazy to see how people I don't know are reacting to my speech! They look at me with an expression of pity and/or distaste! Man, this whole situation is bizarre. My friends and family are having a good laugh about it though. It is sort of amusing. Yes my mouth is bone dry in the morning! I guzzle water all the time. It helps a bit. I'm daydreaming about the TPA, I saw the picture in Brandy's blog and it looks heavenly. I'm going to bring it up with my ortho when he says I'm done expanding. Thanks for discussing the RPE everyone.