**RECOVERY TIME from your experience...

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kate0310

**RECOVERY TIME from your experience...

#1 Post by kate0310 »

Hi Everyone.

I am having my Jaw Surgery on April 12th, and I'm having my upper and lower jaw done, as well as chin implants.

Has anyone had the same three things done that I'm having,-want to offer any advice? I don't like when doctors make things sound better than they are going to be- I like to hear about what REALLY happens even if it's worse.

Another question for anyone- the entire month of May is a huge amount of essays/projects/seminars/presentations etc.. and then final exams are in June. In your opinion is it do-able to finish all of this, or would I be putting to much stress on my body?
My parents don't want me to try and finish the year because they want me to heal really well, and I could get exempt...but I don't want to feel like i'm taking the easy way out if im going to be fine soon after surgery.

What do you all think I should do? I guess it all depends on how many weeks it takes me to recover...
After my wisdom, my 6th day was AWFUL, and they told me the 3rd day would be the worst...so now I don't know what to beleive. eeek

I think this message board is wonderful by the way, finally I have found people going through the same stressful stuff!! My friends are so sick of hearing about my damn Jaw!!!
Last edited by kate0310 on Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ohmyjaw

#2 Post by ohmyjaw »

Hi Kate,

I had upper and lower surgery on March 13 (no chin implants though) and I am feeling pretty good. I would say that my energy level is not quite 100% but it is pretty darn close. I don't really know what to tell you about school, however, I would expect that you would be able to go back after after two weeks, maybe three at most. I don't think you would need a month off. Maybe one option would be to transition back to school slowly - like go to some of your classes and do the rest of the work at home.

As for advice re. the surgery, I think the best thing to do is be prepared! Stock up on your favourite soups and shakes, maybe order some Zip N Squeeze bags if you are going to be banded or wired, and get a few fun things to do while you are recovering (movies, books/magazines, etc). Also, ice packs are a must!

I am sure you will be just fine and recover quickly, whether you decide to go back to school or not.

kate0310

toughing it out

#3 Post by kate0310 »

Thanks for your feedback!

I've decided I will try my hardest to get back to work a.s.a.p
I have a 40minute seminar to give on June 4th (Surgery is Apr. 12) so my speech should be normal by than right?

jadeli

#4 Post by jadeli »

I only missed a week and a half of school after upper and lower jaw surgery, after my OS told me that I should expect to go back after a month. I was really good with getting up and walking around the house, instead of just sitting and watching TV all day, and I honestly think that played a huge part in how quickly I recovered.
Made a braceface March 14, 2005
Endured upper and lower jaw surgery February 21, 2007

anabel

#5 Post by anabel »

Regarding the splint thing--remember not all splints are as cumbersome as Smile2006's was. Mine wasn't that bad, just sort of like a retainer.
Braces on July 2005
Upper/Lower/Genio July 2006
Braces off June 2007

chrisk

#6 Post by chrisk »

Hi,

I had 4 weeks off from work (but I only worked regularly one day per week) and as a teacher (using my voice all day) found that my jaw tired really easily when I went back to work. I really didn't feel that I had full projection on my voice for about 8 weeks.

As a relief teacher, I had the option of turning down work on the other days so I eased back into work slowly.

I also had 3 kids and a household to run. I think you should be fine, since you are young. Just listen to your body and rest when you feel you need to. Within 10 days I was back into normal, everyday life (running the kids to school, housework, shopping etc) . It was really work that took awhile to ease back into because with teaching you have to use your voice and jaw all day.

Eeegsy

#7 Post by Eeegsy »

I guess it all depends on where you are located and how the surgeon prefers recovery. I know here in the UK, my surgeon is keeping me 6 weeks in tight, 2 in slack after upper, lower and genio. I'm currently almost 5 weeks in.

And after having my splint and bands removed last weeks for 5 minutes to brush my teeth 'properly' in the hospital, I couldn't open my jaw wide enough to fit my toothbrush in! Very bizarre feeling but I know it would take a week or 2 for the muscles to recover, with exercises.

But like most of the american patients you would be in and out of bands very quickly, as it seems from peoples experience on here. So things would be alot more favourable for a 7 week full recovery.

kate0310

Canada

#8 Post by kate0310 »

I'm actually having mine done in Canada, and my surgeon was trained in Switzerland...so WHO KNOWS!- I don't get to discuss the banded/post-op situation until wednesday, and my surgery is thursday. :oops:

Graceful58

#9 Post by Graceful58 »

I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery on your surgery tomorrow. I look foward to hearing how you're doing as I'll be having the same surgeries as you down the road.
Lower Jaw Advancement & Mentoplasty- Dec 31st...Happy New Year!!!

http://bracefacemom.blogspot.com/

Blessings,
Graceful