Some Questions

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sec9

Some Questions

#1 Post by sec9 »

as far as braces go before surgery do you have to get the metal braces or can you get the insalign then switch before surgery?

Also after the surgery will I lose a lot of weight?

sec9

#2 Post by sec9 »

ok cool. I guess i will just buy a weight gainer and make a lot of high calorie shakes. How long do you have to be on a liquid only diet? also do the braces have to be the metal ones for the surgery? or can they be those clear white ones. Reason I ask is ive been in the metal ones for many many years and only recently got out of them to find out I need surgery. I just want to avoid going back into them again if at all possible.

Yarr

#3 Post by Yarr »

I am now realising that "eating" demands a huge determination. Since the food is so liquid, it is digested very fast. Honestly I spend half my day eating, and despite my efforts I am almost constantly hungry. Although as Meryaten said, this varies from person to person. I am just the the kind of person that eats for two. :)

Eeegsy

#4 Post by Eeegsy »

Indeed! But you seem to get used to eating Liquids after awhile, especially 6 weeks! It's a bit like feeding a baby, feeds every 2 hours for me!

sec9

#5 Post by sec9 »

thats gonna be the hardest part of the process for me. I eat so much because my metabolism is natural fast and I've really made progress in the gym the past 6 months and dont want to lose my gains.

anyone have ideas for high calorie shakes I can make?

Skaff

#6 Post by Skaff »

sec9 wrote:thats gonna be the hardest part of the process for me. I eat so much because my metabolism is natural fast and I've really made progress in the gym the past 6 months and dont want to lose my gains.

anyone have ideas for high calorie shakes I can make?
Don't worry about it - do you know about muscle memory? If you lose it after the operation you'll gain it back in no time - well, at least a lot faster than it took to grow in the first place. But it is a good idea to keep eating a relatively high calorie diet. But you won't need to be eating as much as you do now because you won't be as active. Be prepared to lose a fair amount of muscle mass but, as I said, you'll get it back pretty easily once you're back in the gym.

As for high calorie shakes, remember to make them healthy calories - don't just chug down milkshakes full of ice cream. Try a banana smoothie with a good helping of honey.

HighandLo

#7 Post by HighandLo »

sec9,

I have the clear ceramic braces and am having surgery in a few months (hopefully!) My Ortho told me if I had Invisalign to start with, I would need to switch to ceramic or metal before the sugery (with extra cost), because I needed the brackets for support of bands, etc. after the surgery. I was also told that Invisalign doesn't work for everyone and may take longer in treatment.

I hope this helps!