Proflie and Portrait, Pre & Post Op.

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Eeegsy

#16 Post by Eeegsy »

Thanks.

If you are having surgery and the chin correction is recommended then I wouldn't worry about the pain. Having it all done at once is better for sure. It's never really pain either to be honest, because you would usually have numbness immedietly folloqing surgery with de-sensitized nerves.

Probably just an increase in swelling around the area..

Delag

#17 Post by Delag »

What a great outcome! I can't wait to see your next set of pictures! Did I just read on another thread that you are getting your bands off tomorrow?

Eeegsy

#18 Post by Eeegsy »

Delag

Indeed, tight bands came off today, and i've moved into slacks. The splint has been taken out thankfully! So i'm exercising my muscles and eating soft foods now. Bit of a tough time getting food in but the distance I can open my mouth has improved in a few hours, so hopefully in a week or 2 I will see some nice progress there!

But all in all, it's great to have moved on a stage!

misskristen

Nice pics!

#19 Post by misskristen »

You definitely look happier! :)

I'm 11 weeks post op. Had upper and lower jaw surgery.

http://bracemyself.blogspot.com/

Eeegsy

#20 Post by Eeegsy »

To further on from Meryaten's comment about numbness in the chin area. I would say it was very numb post-op, i'm not sure if that's from the BSSO or from a combinations of factors. But then after a month my chin went sensitive and feels ok. Tingly to the touch but I have full confidence in it being like it was pre-op.. But talk to your surgeon to voice any concerns you may have, and he/she will explain it all.

Thanks Meryaten. Mouth is a little bit sore with these slack bands, as i'm stretching them as I open my mouth, so the tension increases. Exactly the same as when you first have elastics put on, teeth ache for a few days but wil no doubt get better!

It's amazing to talk also, I actually think I talk better than before.... or maybe that's just because I haven't heard myself speak properly for 6 weeks! :P I spoke to my sister on the phone and she was very pleased that another stage had been overcome! :)

kate0310

numb

#21 Post by kate0310 »

congrats on the 'next stage'! your attitude is awesome :)

I am 9 days post op and still numb from my lower eyelid down to my chin. some spots are less than other- like my nose has some sensation...but my cheeks and chin and lips are quite numb. just me- or does it seem like a lot compared to most people?

Eeegsy

#22 Post by Eeegsy »

Thanks Kate,

The numbness you are experiencing is exactly what I had. Numbness below the eyelids, and my nose was actually quite numb for awhile. The tip was very tickly after afew weeks, quite a funny sensation actually. But don't worry, it will amaze you when the feeling comes back.

TownAndGown

#23 Post by TownAndGown »

What a result! I wonder who your surgeon was - are you allowed to say? My asymmetry is really quite bad (unilateral condylar hyperplasia) - none of the surgeons know whether to cut out part of the bone on one side only, or cut both sides, and shorten one and lengthen the other. Nobody actually talks to me directly, just between themselves, at the osteo clinics.

Renden

#24 Post by Renden »

Eeegsy wrote:Thanks for the comments :)

I'll add this one. One day after surgery.

There's a label on my chin "Do Not Touch" :P
That's a classic photo for the future.

Just insert "You should have seen the other guy" somewhere on that photo :P

Kerry

#25 Post by Kerry »

hi did you have to pay for this surgery ?

if so how much was it, im looking into it at the moment .

Eeegsy

#26 Post by Eeegsy »

Hi Kerry,

No I didn't pay, It was all done on the NHS. Although I went private for my Orthodontic treatment to speed things up somewhat!

I never asked how much the surgery would cost, but I would almost certainly say 15+ grand! But you might as well ask if it's something you are considering.

Other than that, i'm now 9 weeks post-op and I feel great. Been learning to chew all over again for the past 3 weeks. I can eat pretty much any food that I could before now, apart from really hard things.

And I feel as if over the weeks the visual outcome has got better and better. You have to remember that you only really see the real outcome 6-8 weeks down the line, well this was the case for me anyway! Probably due to all the residual swelling under the skin.

kate0310

good results

#27 Post by kate0310 »

Eegsy, I am so happy to hear your doing so well, and even more pleased with the results! It's giving me something to look forward to for sure.
Any update pics?
Oh and how numb are you at this point?