Seeking Surgery Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Genevieve

Seeking Surgery Buddies

#1 Post by Genevieve »

Hi there. Although I've been a lurker for some time, this is my first post, so I'd like to say a huge thank you for all who post with pictures and advice. This is a phenomenal resource - the best I've found on the Internet.

It's probably easier to say what isn't wrong with my jaws than what is :wink: but here goes: I have an openbite, an overjet, an overbite, a cant and condylar hyperplasia (the left side of the jaw is shorter than the right) in my lower jaw. This gives me a bad bite and facial assymetry. I'll post some pictures when I've worked out how to do so, and you'll see for yourselves!

I had my wisdom teeth removed and SARPE in July 2006...Brandyleigh your blog has been particularly helpful, thank you! I wore a removable RPE for two weeks after which time my palate had widened enough to go into the full orthodontic treatment in August 2006 of ceramics on the uppers and metal on the lowers.

I'm 36 years old and this is my second time in braces... The first being in my teens when my problems were misdiagnosed.

I am due to have BSSO, Le Fort 1 and a genio in July of this year. I've seen how others have gained a huge amount of strength from this forum and would really like to hear from anyone else who is going to be going through a similar procedure around that time.

kate0310

wow

#2 Post by kate0310 »

wow! your mouth sure loaded you up with a nice stack of problems! I had BSSO/Lefort I/genio last week- so although i'm not on the same timeline as you, i'm not too far ahead of ya. Feel free to ask me anyyy questions you can think of- and I know your going to get through it all just fine :D

Genevieve

#3 Post by Genevieve »

Thanks both for your offers of support and encourgement!

Kate0310 - Yes, I'm a little overwhelmed by how much is wrong with my bite! I originally went to the dentist because I knew that I could look better, but had no idea that the function of my jaws was so off. It was just what I'd always known. I've been following your story. It looks as if you are well on your way to recovery with some great results emerging. When are you planning to go back to work? I've warned my office that I may need up to 4 weeks off, but most folks seem to be alright in a couple (with the first week being a complete write-off).

Meryaten - yes, complete bummer about my misdiagnosis. To have to go through a second set of braces having gone through all the pain of the first set is really not my idea of fun. The "orthodontist" was the family dentist who was trying his hand straightening my teeth....My mother blames herself but I told her that this was just how things were done back in the early 80s. I always think that we Brits have woken up to orthodontics quite late. I have every confidence in my orthodontist now, though, he's great.

ohmyjaw

#4 Post by ohmyjaw »

Hi Genevieve,

I am also in my second round of braces. I had several years of treatment in my teens with no improvement. I even had two extractions which I have now learned were completely unnecessary!

Thankfully, the second time around is going much better. I had my upper and lower jaw surgery on March 13 with very good results. I had an asymmetrical lower jaw, as well as underbite, narrow/uneven upper jaw, and lip incompetence.

I don't have a job right now, but if I did I think I would have been okay to go back to work after about two and a half weeks. Overall, I did not find the surgery too difficult, except for some stubborn pain that I had, and I hope things go just as well (or better) for you. Please let me know if I can answer any questions you have!

kate0310

time off

#5 Post by kate0310 »

Genevieve- I originally said 4 week for how long I would be off school. THe first week is definately a complete write-off, and the I would say the second one should be too because you want to recover properly from something like this. I'm feeling good on Day 9, and if I didnt have the headaches which I've been getting I would say I'm ok to do work at my desk. Energy is still low, and there are aches here and there...and cleaning the stitches happens every few hours...but I'm capable of doing productive things for sure.
Tell work 4 weeks, and if your back sooner than it will be a bonus. Then its not stressful :)

Brandyleigh35

#6 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Hey Genivieve,
Glad that my blog was helpful. I'd be happy to be your surgery buddy. I'm going to be having Upper, lower, and genio done on May 24Th! Yikes...that is coming up fast!

I'm a little nervous, but frankly I have been so busy lately I hardly have time to even think about the surgery. I will be glad just to get it over and done with and be just one step closer to finishing up all my oral drama! :)

TownAndGown

#7 Post by TownAndGown »

Hi Genevieve

I don't know when my surgery will be, but I'll keep an eye on your progress in July - Good luck!

I'm a bit worried too and will be asking for lots of hand-holding as well. I have condylar hyperplasia, my chin is well over to the side and teeth at the back only meet on one side when I twist my bite. Teeth were at 45 degree angle but looking much better now. Chin still sticks forward - like an old witch.

Was referred in 1983 to Guys, but after notes were lost when I moved out of London, was referred again in 1987 and went privately, but then moved away again and again notes were lost. Now I'm settled and after another appointment with an NHS surgeon in 1999 my notes were then lost within the same hospital for a few years after the first photos and xrays. Lots of chasing from my dentist, they were found in 2004 and braces were fitted in early 2005. 2 years on, and I'm sure it's close to being over! Maybe July too!

all the best

TG