Do bones fuse together after surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MazingerZ

Do bones fuse together after surgery?

#1 Post by MazingerZ »

Does anyone know what happens to the broken jaw/chin after the surgery other than they are attached with plates and screws? Do the bones fuse/grow together and become one piece again? :?:

Yarr

#2 Post by Yarr »

Yes, the bones will grow back together. It seems like they grow pretty good together aswell since my ortho told me I could take up kickboxing again in a year or so. I am now one month post-op after upper advancement, lower retraction and bone graft thingy.

Gem

#3 Post by Gem »

My os told me that the chin will actually fill in so it will look completely normal except for a few screws.

smile2006

#4 Post by smile2006 »

I had upper, lower and genio. The first couple of months after surgery my profile certainly was better but there was a slight uneveness to my jaw line, especially on the left side. You could see a little bump where the lower jaw was advanced and another near the cut for the sliding genioplasty. I was told it could take up to two years for the bones to fully remodel. It is barely visible 10 months later but if you press on the area you can feel little bumps. I can tell the bones are filling in though both visually and by touch. It's a long process!