No splint or rubberbands!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Brandyleigh35

No splint or rubberbands!

#1 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Has anyone had this? I had my pre-op appointment today. The doctor is doing upper, lower, and genio. He said that he uses a newer type of rigid fixation that is actually stronger then titanium. That since it is stronger they can make the plates and screws smaller so they take up less space, but are stronger. So anyway....the doctor says that he will use splints to position things correctly during my surgery, but he will remove the splints before I wake up. That after my surgery I will not have any splint, nor will I be using rubberbands to hold my jaws together or in place. That I will be able to open my mouth and eat mashed soft foods immediately after surgery (no liquids necessary as long as I don't chew anything) for 6 weeks.

I'm sorta thrilled, but also freaked out by this as it seems like everyone I have read about has had a splint, or rubberbands. I have never heard of anyone not having one or the other.

Thoughts???

Brandy

Yarr

#2 Post by Yarr »

Hey Brandy! I had the same thing as you. Although I had upper, lower and a bone graft to my upper jaw. No bands, no splint. When I mentioned splints to my suregon, he said he does not use them. He also told me they WERE used to position the jaws during surgery before, but now it appears they had some new pinpointing method so splints were not used at all in my surgery. Nevertheless, it seems there is ALLWAYS a small chance that splint or/and bands might become necessary after surgery. I think this depends on how succesfull the surgery is.

Brandyleigh35

#3 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Yarr,
This is so weird, I mean I have never heard of this, then my doctor tells me today and you show up!

Did you have any pain? I will be having upper, lower, genio, and a bone graft on my lower left molar so pretty much the same as you with the added plus of the genio.

How did your healing go? This is so facinating....I never would've thought my doctor would be using the latest and greatest technology! NOt in ALASKA! seems like we are known for being behind the times in everything! Where are you?

Brandy

Yarr

#4 Post by Yarr »

I am form Norway, and the surgery was done here aswell. As for the pain, there were two almost-sleepless nights for me in the first week. That was mainly because I did not take the pain meds on time. I think I stoped using pain meds within the second week, so the healing went pretty good. The worst thing about the recovery process was the "what if"s.

The good thing about not having a splint or beeing banded shut is that you can open your mouth wide enough to put in a spoon with food pretty much right after surgery. That really saved me. Since I am very active, I have very high metabolism. So I lost 20lbs in just over a week. That resulted in to that I had to get in as much food as possible, and mashed food did not help that much so I had to go over to swallowing pasta and stuff. Which is pretty nice considering the options at your disposal.

After the surgery, it seems like the bones heal pretty good. I even asked my ortho if I will be able to continue kickboxing in a year or so, and he gave me the green light. So when it comes to technolagy, I would say you are in good hands! :D

Brandyleigh35

#5 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Wow, Thank you for that post! You have no idea how much better that makes me feel! I was sorta freaking out since I have read about so many people who have had this surgery done and none had it done without a splint or rubberbands!

What a relief to find someone just today that has such wonderful insight to it all! I feel like I can relax and just prepare for my surgery now!

That is why I love this board, so much info and so cool to be able to talk with folks having this done all over the world!

So the big question. Are you happy with your results?

Gem

#6 Post by Gem »

My ortho said I would have a splint but os said that he uses it to verify position and trashes it before I leave or. He said the ortho yells at him for it but he feels it is not needed. However I do have 2 bands in the front and must change them 2x a day for eating and cleaning. Five days post-op I was permitted to eat mush, but I find I am much more comfortable with liquids. Good Luck!

Yarr

#7 Post by Yarr »

At this point I am happy with the result. At first I was freaking a bit out because of the "what if"s, but things have fallen into place. There are small adjustments to be made, and my bite will be perfect according to my ortho. I really dont pay to much attention to the outcome these days since I am to busy with exams and stuff. Not to mention I am only 5 weeks post-op, and as we all know this is a sloooow process, so there are probably more things to fall into place. :)

kate0310

fixation

#8 Post by kate0310 »

Brandy, Splints were used DURING my surgery- but I woke up with an empty mouth (minus braces). My parents were shocked because we thought I would be tightly banded shut since I had upper AND lower...but I just got my first elastic to wear (after a few weeks) when I saw my ortho.

I agree with Yarr it's nice to be able to fit a baby spoon in your mouth for eating. I am on the six weeks no chew, but there's still lots of variety. I also think that not being banded helps with the emotiional calusterphobic aspect of it all.

ohmyjaw

#9 Post by ohmyjaw »

Hi Brandy,
It's really cool that you don't have to have a splint or bands... you are so lucky! Eating will be so much easier that way. I didn't have a splint or bands either, but of course I was wired for 10 days. After that, I was on soft foods for about another week, and then it was "go ahead and eat whatever you want as long as it doesn't cause you pain!"