4 Weeks Post Op Visit Today

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gem

4 Weeks Post Op Visit Today

#1 Post by Gem »

Just came from the OS and he said things are looking good, but I need to go for physical therapy. He also said that he would call the orho about easing up on the bands since my muscles are now hyperextended. It was kind of good news because I have had pt for tmj previously and I adore my therapist. She is really good at putting me at ease and hopefully she can help me get to sleep without Ambien. OS also said that the swelling isn't too bad and that it wasn't that bad from the operation as he has seen in other patients. He also said I can start eating fish and pasta. I am a little excited but also nervous to try and eat solids. How did every one else do with there first real meal? He also said steak in 2 months.

kate0310

#2 Post by kate0310 »

Gem- Congrats on graduating to REAL food!!! I got the O.K. for soft food 5 days ago, so I've been working at it since and It's definitely a weird feeling but it improves quite rapidly. The first time you will feel like you don't even know how to chew with your back teeth, and you'll probably be tempted to chew with front teeth and avoid the back ones. Eating wasn't even enjoyable until about yesterday, but now It's feeling a lot better!

Glad to hear your doing so well. Can't wait for the next update!

Oh and don't be suprised if you end up biting your lip and mistaking it for food. :lol: I took some nice chunks out without even feeling it.

Gem

#3 Post by Gem »

Kate- you are allowed to chew? OS said no chewing for another 4 weeks, so do you think I would be able to handle the fish and pasta or just stick to liquids and mush?

kate0310

#4 Post by kate0310 »

Yea I'm allowed to chew now.
THe first FIVE weeks were liquids/puree only for me- and now I can eat whatever I want using my common sense to not rip apart bread or try eating carrots or steak or things like that- my jaw tells me what I can eat and makes it very clear when I'm straining it.

Gem

#5 Post by Gem »

Meryaten- I am rather surprised about the no chewing policy since I have seen posters who had both jaws done chewing before 8 weeks. The os is probably being cautious since there is bone degeneration in the tmj. They are hoping this surgery works for me because if it doesn't then I have to have tmj surgery and that is no chewing for 3 months.

Kate- how are you doing with solids now? btw you look great!

Thanks to you both! I don't know what I would do without your help and reassurance.

Does anyone have good fish or pasta recipes?