Genioplasty?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

phil

Genioplasty?

#1 Post by phil »

I would like to hear from any or all of you about genioplasty. I will be having a Lefort I and BSSO at the end of June to correct a Class III malocclusion (with about a 13 mm anterior discrepancy). They plan to move my maxillary arch both down AND forward.

How do orthodontists and oral surgeons decide to include genioplasty in the treatment plan? Are there any reasons for it besides aesthetics/facial balance?

My OD and OS have not brought up the issue, but it seems to be a component of treatment with quite a few people here on the boards.

Thank you in advance for you replies.

phil

Genio

#2 Post by phil »

Hey Meryaten! I knew you'd reply.

So, if it increases my probability of numbness, and I don't need it for function, I should probably not have it!

Thanks for your input.

Gem

#3 Post by Gem »

I did it for the aesthetics but OS explained to me that he may be able to get insurance coverage for sleep apnea if I am a snorer

iheartmypanda

#4 Post by iheartmypanda »

I had genio and it was purely for aesthetics as far as I know.
My OS said he would decide during surgery if I need it or not according to how I look after all is done.
If your insurance covers it you might want to consider it. It's a tough surgery to go through and you might want to get the most bang for it kwim?

hth,

Mariana

4beauty4symmetry

#5 Post by 4beauty4symmetry »

You might want to look into the ramifications further of rejecting the genio before you wipe it off the blackboard of possibilities.

I have an underbite, and will be having a genio because, according to my conservative, non-surgery hungry oms, without one I'll wind up with a weak chin.

Seemed incredible to me as I have all my life had a pretty darn strong chin. But then a couple of orthos I consulted also thot it would probably needed.

Even if jaw/bite function and health are your primary motivations, do you really want to look worse, or merely unlike your old self, at the end of all this?

I'm getting a mandibular setback of about 4 mm.

Just my two cents.
Good luck w/ it all.
Dec 2006--RPE followed by SARPE surgery
Jan 2007--Braces
Nov 2007 BSSO mandibular setback, genioplasty, and two implant anchors. Surgery-eve reprieve from Lefort.
May 2008--Debraced

Surgeries in Costa Rica, Orthodontics in Massachusetts.

All to fix an openbite, crossbite, underbite, and two missing bottom molars.

kate0310

#6 Post by kate0310 »

I wouldn't count it out yet either.

Two points:

1) I decided 5 minutes before they put my IV in that I wanted the chin- because as I was lying on the operating table it hit me that this was going to be a big deal and I might as well just go for it all while I'm gonna be miserable anyway and get the best result I can. (its not just the surgery, theres 10 frusterating years of ortho to go along with it and im only eighteen)

2) My surgeon gave me the option of getting it BUT he said that once hes moved my two jaws around during surgery he may find that strucurally I NEED the chin implant to hold everything in place and without it my lower jaw would be very weak --> and if that was the case that I would be getting it no matter what.

So I dont know your case, but just for the strength aspect it might be smart if you can do it financially.

chrisk

#7 Post by chrisk »

Hi Phil,

My genioplasty was to make sure I had correct lip competence (ie to ensure my lips met together) and would have been aesthetic as well. I had upper and lower jaw surgery (top - 4mm up and out, bottom - 9mm out and chin 6mm).

So it's not always about facial balance, but necessary for functionality too. From someone who had never, ever been able to close my lips over my teeth before braces (due to my huge overjet and recessed jaw and chin), this was just one of the amazing effects of having this surgery.

phil

Genioplasty

#8 Post by phil »

Thanks to everyone for their responses thus far.

I don't know exact numbers yet, but since my discrepancy is so great (about 13 mm), I am assuming that my setback will be around 6-8 mm.

I will discuss this with my OS at the pre-surgery appointment. I don't wish to put myself at extra risk unnecessarily, but I am concerned about not looking like myself post surgery. Different is OK, but I do want to recognize myself in the mirror!

phil

Genioplasty

#9 Post by phil »

Thanks to everyone for their responses thus far.

I don't know exact numbers yet, but since my discrepancy is so great (about 13 mm), I am assuming that my setback will be around 6-8 mm.

I will discuss this with my OS at the pre-surgery appointment. I don't wish to put myself at extra risk unnecessarily, but I am concerned about not looking like myself post surgery. Different is OK, but I do want to recognize myself in the mirror!

4beauty4symmetry

#10 Post by 4beauty4symmetry »

The reason why I've signed on to the genioplasty is because w/out after surgery I will look the way someone w/ an overbite looks--like I have a weak chin.

In other words I am more likely to look like myself if the slide my chin forward than if they don't.

Have your oms do the predictive tracing thingie.
Dec 2006--RPE followed by SARPE surgery
Jan 2007--Braces
Nov 2007 BSSO mandibular setback, genioplasty, and two implant anchors. Surgery-eve reprieve from Lefort.
May 2008--Debraced

Surgeries in Costa Rica, Orthodontics in Massachusetts.

All to fix an openbite, crossbite, underbite, and two missing bottom molars.

smile2006

#11 Post by smile2006 »

The decision to do genioplasty was very last minute for me. When the surgeon looked at the amount of movement down in the upper jaw and forward in the lower jaw, my chin needed something or it would have been totally lost in my profile. I'm glad I did the genio, I'm tempted to say it has made the biggest difference in my profile of all of this. I do agree the numbness risk is there, I just posted in the "numbness" thread about some lingering numbness I have in the lower lip and chin (tiny patches but there none the less). My insurance did cover the genio, somehow. Nobody can really explain why but I am thankful for it.

Graceful58

#12 Post by Graceful58 »

I am still waiting on the verdict if I'll have upper surgery along with my lower jaw advancement. I have a nice chin now but they feel that they may have to reduce it once they move my lower jaw 9mm forward becuase it will probably be too much of a chin...

So, I'm game and want the best results and going under the knife once is perferable to later down the road.
Lower Jaw Advancement & Mentoplasty- Dec 31st...Happy New Year!!!

http://bracefacemom.blogspot.com/

Blessings,
Graceful

phil

Genio

#13 Post by phil »

My insurance is covering NOTHING of my surgery (they covered SOME of my ortho), so the added expense is somewhat of an issue. If it's no more than $3-4 thousand, I might be able to float it. If it's much steeper than that, I might have to reconsider.

My chin is SUCH a prominent feature in my face, if we lose it altogether, I will look REALLY different!

More later on this topic, I'm sure.