Numbness Census

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bunnywich

Numbness Census

#1 Post by bunnywich »

Hello all. My biggest concern with having orthognathic surgery is the possibility of numbness. As I've said before, I chew my lip (sometimes without even knowing it :oops: ) and not feeling it/possibly doing damage scares me. Anyways, I was wondering if those of you that have had surgery could say what you had done and how long numbness has lasted for you. I will be having BSSO, Lefort I, and genio FYI. Thanks!

ohmyjaw

#2 Post by ohmyjaw »

My jaw surgery (upper and lower) was March 13 and I have just a little bit of numbness left. It's almost back to normal. But it's really hard to predict how long you might be numb. Everyone is a bit different depending on their surgeon, the type of surgery, etc.

bunnywich

#3 Post by bunnywich »

Yeah, that's why I wanted to get a page going of each persons experience. Just to get a general idea. Thanks!

kate0310

numbess

#4 Post by kate0310 »

I'm not much help because I'm only 6 weeks Post-op- but I had BSSO, Lefort I, and genio so I'll keep you updated on my numbness. My cheeks have got lots of feeling back, but the chin and lips are still very numb. It's early on for me though, so not worried yet.

Queen of Ortho

Re; Numbness

#5 Post by Queen of Ortho »

I am a treament coordinator that recently retired from an orthodontic practice. There is always a minimal risk of numbness post surgery. I have worked with over 200 surgical patients. The lip area is not normally where the patients are numb.
Hopefully, you won't experience any numbness, but if you do, in my experience, it lasted from 2 weeks to approx 10 months.

I myself had my nose broken with surgery and it took nine months for me to feel the tip of my nose, but it did regenerate. It was just there one day.

Worrying about the numbness now will not change anything and only make you more apprehensive. You made the right decision to address your problem and you will never be sorry after your see your great result. Go in with a positive and upbeat frame of mind and all will be well.

I am sure you will stop biting your lip after all the time and effort you will have gone throught to get this far. :)

smile2006

#6 Post by smile2006 »

I had surgery July 13, 2006. I still have a tiny patch on my bottom lip and a tiny patch on my chin that are numb. It's weird, in that it comes and goes. Sometimes it feels normal and then sometimes numb. I've have it "go numb" for a period of a day to probably nearly a week and then ease up. I'm starting to wonder if I'll always have this. My ortho said however up to two years is possible and not to be too concerned yet. I had a 2 piece leforte, bsso and genioplasty. The upper is fine (has been since about January) but I guess a lot went on in the lower area. i don't regret having the surgery one bit!

bunnywich

#7 Post by bunnywich »

Thanks for all the input! It's comforting to hear that the numbness (in most cases) isn't enough to be life changing.

As I've said before, this forum has been a HUGE help for me in making the decision to have surgery.