? for those who have had upper/lower/genio

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

luckycharms0565

? for those who have had upper/lower/genio

#1 Post by luckycharms0565 »

My surgeon is considering doing my jaw surgery over Christmas break. My lower jaw needs to be moved forward and upper jaw needs to be move up in 3 parts. Possibly genio but probally not because of insurance.

To the people that have had this surgery, do you think a month would be sufficient time to recover enough to go back to school? The surgery would be mid December and I don't go back to school until mid January. It will be my first year of college and I will be about 4 hours away from my parents.

My only other option would be over summer break but I was planning on either doing tennis camps or a surgical internship and with jaw surgery it would be hard to do either one of those.

kate0310

4 weeks

#2 Post by kate0310 »

I think 4 weeks is perfect! Great timing for it.

iheartmypanda

#3 Post by iheartmypanda »

I'm a nanny and so I needed more time than most of work since my job is physically demanding and a smile is a must have! (I wouldn't want the toddler to think I don't love her or that she's doing something wrong)

That said, yesterday was 4 weeks for me and I went back to work today and it was fine! You should definetly be ok to go back to school but make sure you actually have a whole four weeks! School is stressful and each week of recovery you can get makes a HUGE difference!

ohmyjaw

#4 Post by ohmyjaw »

I think a month should be plenty. I didn't have a job at the time I had surgery, but I think I would have been okay to work at about three weeks.

luckycharms0565

#5 Post by luckycharms0565 »

Thanks everyone for responding. I was thinking a month would be enough time but my mom was very concerned that this wouldn't be enough time to recover. Hopefully in the next month or so I should find out how much insurance will cover and get my braces on.

Nicki003

1 month

#6 Post by Nicki003 »

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and I think 1 month is fine. The first week is the worst and after that it gets much better. :)