Asymmetry, Cant, Condylar Hyperplasia

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

murrdock311

Asymmetry, Cant, Condylar Hyperplasia

#1 Post by murrdock311 »

Hey everyone, my name is Ryan, and I've posted on this website once or
twice but I've kept up to date on most of the posts on this website.
The posts on here have been very informative and helpful on most
issues but I have a hard time finding people with the same problem
that I have.
I have a condition called condylar hyperplasia which causes a cant and
a tilted occlusal plane. This leads to facial asymmetry and TMJ
issues that are unreal and cause pain nearly everyday. My reason for
having this surgery is almost all functional because of my bad bite
and TMJ issues but part of me is going in for cosmetic reasons also
because of the slight cant. Most people don't even realize my jaw is
asymmetrical until I tell them, which is not very often. Although my
face always turns out to show its asymmetry even more in pictures.
My question for all of you is, is there anyone else here that has the
same problem, pre-op or post-op. I would really like to talk to
someone that can relate to what I am going through. If there is
somebody who has gone through this process or is thinking about it, I
would really appreciate it if you could reply and tell me your
condition and story and what kind of surgery you intend on having to
correct this.

Thanks so much everyone.
Ryan

chrisk

#2 Post by chrisk »

Hi Ryan,

I had upper and lower jaw surgery and genioplasty in August 2006 for my overjet, but also had a cant in my jaw levelled. I never even knew that I had a cant in my jaw until my surgeon did all the measurements prior to my surgery. Recently I looked at my pre-surgery photos from the surgeon and saw how obvious it was with the photos that he took.

I went into the surgery mainly for functional reasons (to correct my bad bite, help with periodontal problems and uneven wear on my teeth) but am really happy with the cosmetic improvements that I've had. I've lost my slightly lazy eye that I had pre-surgery, and am really happy with my outcome (I got my braces off on the 2 February). The only downside has been that I still have numbness in my palate and teeth on all of the right side of my upper jaw. My surgeon said that it can be up to a year for this to settle so i've still got a while to go before I stress about this. My back two molars don't meet on the inside - but do on the outside (due to the uneven wear caused by my bad bite) but both my ortho and my dentist said that these should settle and occluse properly with time.

I'm no expert, but I would think that you would need at least upper jaw surgery to correct the cant in your jaw. I never really suffered from TMJ so can't comment on how the surgery would correct this. However, I wish I had done this all years ago - the improvement in my self-esteem, my dental health, and my appearance - have been major.

Good luck Ryan

TownAndGown

#3 Post by TownAndGown »

Hi Ryan

You seem to have a condition something like mine. (You've probably seen my postings) All is going well with the treatment so far - braces have been on for 2 years now and I'm hoping the op will be in the summer sometime. There is a small chance they may not operate though because the braces have improved my bite and this has in turn shifted my chin back towards the centre (though not quite there) and all looks a lot better now. Photos still show the asymmetry though. I don't get a lot of information from the orthodontist, but hope that a planning meeting will be fixed soon so I can discuss progress.

Let me know how things go with your treatment - do you live in the UK?

TG

kate0310

TMJ issues

#4 Post by kate0310 »

Hi Ryan,
I have some similarities in my jaw to what you described. I've been searching through my desk to find my official report, but its burried deep somewhere so I'll keep looking because its quite good.

I have condylar hyperplasia as well, and TMJ issues. I had surgery just over a week ago for upper and lower jaw, and genioplasty. My asymmetry what hard to see from an uneducated eye, but all of the medical professionals could definately see it, and then I became conscious of it. It's too soon to tell what the different will be with TMJ pain, but I will definately let you know in a month or two. I can say that the feeling of biting down evenly where my teeth actually meet evenly, is AMAZING already.

Good Luck with Everything!

Carlylyn77

Unilateral condylar hyperplasia

#5 Post by Carlylyn77 »

Ryan,

I also have unilateral condylar hyperplasia. I have been struggling with this condition for about 15 years, and have not really come across many people with the same thing. I have been through 2 surgeries, and would be happy to share any advice or answer any questions that you have.

TownAndGown

#6 Post by TownAndGown »

Hi Carlylyn

It would be interesting to know about your situation, how and when it was diagnosed, whether they still think it's growing on one side and how much longer it has grown, and about the surgery you've had an whether it worked.

Has anyone given you any information as to why this happened?

You can see my situation from my postings.

Many thanks and best wishes
TG

Carlylyn77

#7 Post by Carlylyn77 »

TG,

I was diagnosed with unilateral condylar hyperplasia when I was about 14, and I had my first surgery when I was 15. The results were amazing at first, but after a few years it became obvious that my jaw was still growing on one side. In 2000, at 22, I had a condylectomy to extract the affected condyle, but the surgeon did not correct the asymmetry and cant that had developed as a result of the 7 years of growing. So that is where I am now. I do not think that my jaw is still growing, but I am in constant pain on the unaffected side, my teeth still do not meet properly, and one side of my jaw is clearly longer than the other. I am in the process of deciding whether to have a third (and hopefully final) surgery this summer to correct these continuing problems. I have been told that my condition is idiopathic, and that there is essentially no explanation. Have you been diagnosed with this condition?

TownAndGown

#8 Post by TownAndGown »

Hello Carlylyn

I've been diagnosed with "facial asymmetry" and have decided it's condylar hyperplasia only from the research I've done. I'm in the UK, and luckily we have free (when needed) treatment because of the NHS, which is really fantastic, but it does mean that I don't feel that I am in the driving seat to ask questions. I believe I'm in very good hands thought.

Nobody has told me what it's caused by, it could be genetic, or trauma. I do remember my 7th/8th? birthday party was cancelled because I'd received a blow to the face that left me too badly bruised to hide from the parents dropping off their kids. (As a result of my upbringing I was very anti violence and have brought up two great sons without ever raising a hand - however one of my sons does have a very slightly asymmetric face!)

It's so hard to know if it's still growing. You are much younger than me. I thought mine had stopped, but I'm not so sure now. When I was about 27, the surgeon I saw then said I should put my index (pointing) finger in my ear (as if to block all sound). Then take the thumb down to the corner of my jaw on each side. Then keeping the fingers in that position, hold my hands together so I can see the difference on each side. I have about 2cm of "air" between the bottom of one thumb and the top of the other. When I was 27 my thumbs touched one above the other. I hope this makes sense, it's hard to describe! I'm nearly 47 now.

I decided to go for the treatment, because my mother thought it should be done, and so did the consultants. My mother would never have supported treatment that she didn't think necessary, and the NHS certainly wouldn't pay for it!

I'm nearly there! It's very exciting. I don't expect perfection, but any improvement will be good.

I'll be going to the European Othrodontic Society conference in Berlin in June (my job takes me there even though my profession is unrelated) - should be interesting - I'm planning to check out the posters for any recent research.

All the best and keep in touch.

TG

lbrey8

Surgery in Fall

#9 Post by lbrey8 »

Hey Ryan,
I have unilateral condylar hyperplasia that has affected my upper and lower jaw. I used to just think my chin was crooked and that I had a bit of a gummy smile until I had my consultation to see about fixing the crooked chin. The deviation is rather "long"--eight mms to be exact. I have never considered myself unattractive but have always been highly self-conscious of the assymetry and was thrilled to find out it could be corrected. I was so self-conscious that I never mentioned the assymetry to a single soul until I found out that I could have surgery on it.
Because I had braces when I was a teen--though the family orthodontist never mentioned the deviation--I, thus far, have not had TMJ issues. When I found out that insurance would not cover the procedure (whether I had developed TMJ or not) I thought that was the end of my dream and was terribly disappointed. My mother was supportive, however, agrees with my assessment, and offered to help me pay for it. My father and brothers are not supportive--they see it as a vanity or a self esteem problem--but I am excited and determined to proceed. Hypocritically, my father and brothers are worried that I will not like the aesthetic result; that I will be doing damage that cannot be undone. From what two separate surgeons have said (although I must acknowledge their potential financial gain) I could expect, at minimum, some major improvements in appearance and function. Aside from the temporary pain and swelling which I consider to be a small price, I cannot see a down side.
Currently, I am in braces and expect to have surgery in the fall. I truly feel like I am making the best choice for me but am also interested in hearing from people who have gone through this. I want to smile, talk, and eat while looking the way I feel--instead of what a snapshot and three-way mirror reveals to be true. I do not think I or anyone else will like or love me any more and I am not seeking that. I will just feel more comfortable in my skin.
Lastly, some of you have mentioned potention causes of the hyperplasia: I also have heard it is ideopathic, hormonal, or trauma induced. The one thing that sticks out in my mind is that the I was a tremendously difficult birth for my mother. The angry o.b. doctor ended up putting her under anesthesia and using the clampers to wrench me lose. My mother states that I was very bruised on one side of my face and she has always assumed that the hospital "lost" my first baby photos for this reason. If you are curious about your own situation, orthognathic surgeons are sometimes able to tell during what growth period the anomaly occurred due to growth plates affected and yada yada.
Sorry I have been wordy but hopefully it has been a comfort to know there are others out there. It has been to me. Thanks.

Paula81

Re: Unilateral condylar hyperplasia

#10 Post by Paula81 »

[quote="Carlylyn77"]Ryan,

I also have unilateral condylar hyperplasia. I have been struggling with this condition for about 15 years, and have not really come across many people with the same thing. I have been through 2 surgeries, and would be happy to share any advice or answer any questions that you have.[/quote]

Hi,

I have been diagnosed with condylar hyperplasia, and have a massive 24/7 dizziness.
Is it common? Does a surgery help?

Thanks
Paula

cru199nine

Re: Asymmetry, Cant, Condylar Hyperplasia

#11 Post by cru199nine »

Has anyone from the US had surgery to treat this? If so, can you recommend a surgeon?