receding gum ???

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Charlene

receding gum ???

#1 Post by Charlene »

Oh good Lord .. Just a quick question .. I am 4 months post op SARPE and braced ( gold ) since March. I do believe due to the numbness in my upper gums, and the fact that I spend hours a day in my mouth I may have been brushing too hard. I have noticed a slight recession over my left front tooth. Do you think with extra soft brushing this gum tissue will come back??? I refuse to endure any more torture, no one is slicing a piece of tissue from anywhere in my mouth to "patch" it up, and I don't want to end up looking like THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR.. If I had only known I would have never started this two year torture treatment and kept my crooked grill ( it gave me character ) Anyhoo any possible solution other than anymore agony would be greatly appreciated. It really isn't that noticable to the average person looking at me but I am somewhat obsessed since my teeth have been coming together ( what a difference 4 months makes ) Thanks for your help ..

kate0310

gum graft

#2 Post by kate0310 »

Hi Charlene, can't really offer much help except that I have had my lower gums grafted, so I can answer questions about that. But...that might be the LAST thing you want to hear about :lol:

Good Luck

jf74

#3 Post by jf74 »

a gum graft sound a lots worse than it is :)

I had 2 on my molars and it's nothing major. You will be sore for a few days and can't eat on that side for a week or 2, but then you don't feel it anymore. You will probably bleed for a few hours after the graft but it should stop then.

The day after the graft I was eating normally, I was just careful to eat on the non grafted side. The next day I was working out at the gym ( you are supposed to wait a couple of days to do sports, but I never listen ;))

An extraction or braces are a lot worse than a graft

ohmyjaw

#4 Post by ohmyjaw »

It might be from brushing too hard but it could also be because of your teeth moving. When we are adults, our gums do not reshape themselves to new tooth positions. I have some worries about my gums and that is what my orthodontist told me. He also mentioned the gum surgery to me and my reaction was pretty much the same as yours.

My situation is not that dire - it will be a while (or maybe never) before I have to worry about gum grafts, but I would suggest checking with your dentist or ortho next time you see them, just to find out what might be causing it.