How about a list of things to take to the Hospital?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vgmessenger

How about a list of things to take to the Hospital?

#1 Post by vgmessenger »

Hi all, How about a list of things one might want to take the hospital. Any takers?....

Brandyleigh35

#2 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

The only things I brought with me were my slippers and a robe (however I never used the robe), a pair of underwear, a white board and dry erase pen for talking. Some good chapstick, your lips will be pretty torn up, two jaw bras with plenty of ice pack refills (order the ones from Zip and squeeze). They will give you a jaw bra at the hospital but it will most likely use crushed ice which will melt in about 15 minutes. For the next hour you will wait to get it refilled. If you have your own, with xtra ice packs (the solid ones) you can have the nurse keep them in the hospital freezer, and they will last about 30-40 minutes each before they melt totally. You end up having more regular ice coverage, and when you get home you can swap them out continuously.

Other then these items there was nothing else I needed. I wrote a few things right out of recovery to communicate with my husband, used the chapstick on my sore lips, slept most of the night, and only got up to go to the bathroom (ie the slippers and clean underwear). I only spent one night in the hospital and went home the next day. If you will be banded shut, you may want to bring a couple of zip and squeeze bags with you so that you can get some water into you easier. Thats all!

Brandy

ohmyjaw

#3 Post by ohmyjaw »

I don't know if many other folks do this, but I brought my own juice boxes and soymilk. It turned out to be a good idea. They were better tasting than that soup the hospital cooked up for me!

Otherwise, I think a change of socks, underwear, and a magazine should about do it.

vgmessenger

#4 Post by vgmessenger »

Thank you of course there were some things I had left out. I have never heard of the Zip and Squeeze bags until I found this site, where isthe best place to get them. My Doc said 3 days in maybe more according to how everything goes. Does not bother me insurance pays it all and hey who does'nt want someone to take care of you right? Thanks again.

anabel

#5 Post by anabel »

I think you just order from the Zip n Squeeze website; that's what I did.
Braces on July 2005
Upper/Lower/Genio July 2006
Braces off June 2007

Delag

#6 Post by Delag »

Ok now I don't know if I should order one or two jaw bras. It might be nice to have an extra so you can wash one out, but I hate spending money.

I was just wondering, can you get flavored soy milk in the USA. Down here we can get soy milk flavored with apple, mango, orange.... it tastes great and (even though it has way too much sugar) can give an extra bit of protien.

vgmessenger

#7 Post by vgmessenger »

I have seen choc. and vanilla soy but nothing else. I love the idea of making smoothies with them. I have found that my tummy does not agree with Milk so much anymore.

Delag I was wondering the same thing about the wraps, I wanted to get 2 but really I just hated paying the extra money. I think I will stay with the one and change out when needed. I have a few (from the orthopedic) from the deQuervain's tenosynovitis surgery I had last year.