How long did your stitches last?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TheUnk311

How long did your stitches last?

#1 Post by TheUnk311 »

It's been just over 3 weeks since my surgery. I still have all my stitches and they don't look much different from when I first saw them. I can feel them when I smile/laugh, not painful or anything, just feels weird like it's being stretched or something.

My OS said it would take a few weeks before they came out, but shouldn't I be seeing some change by now or are they all of a sudden going to start disolving?

Eeegsy

#2 Post by Eeegsy »

About 5 weeks or longer, can't remember too well. But I know they suddenly started to dissapear after about that time.

Brandyleigh35

#3 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Wow, in addition to all the doctors doing things differenlty they must use different stitches too. I"m at 14 days post op today and almost all of mine are gone. They have been coming out left and right the last couple of days. I know there are still a few in there but most have just competely dissolved. 5 weeks seems like a long time!

Brandy

Gem

#4 Post by Gem »

I am 6 weeks postop and they only started disappearing this week :?

anabel

#5 Post by anabel »

Mine were like Brandy's; gone within a couple of weeks or so.
Braces on July 2005
Upper/Lower/Genio July 2006
Braces off June 2007

Eeegsy

#6 Post by Eeegsy »

All depends on what sutures they use. Must be all down to personal preference.

TheUnk311

#7 Post by TheUnk311 »

Well, sounds like I have 2-3 more weeks with these things =p

Brandyleigh35

#8 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

I just saw my oral surgeon again this morning, and he cut out the rest of my stitches on the bottom. He left one that had a knot in it, and couple with knots on top, but that is it. Most of mine are out now. OH....and I was cleared to use my water pik again! What a glorious day this is! My mouth has felt so grimy! ewhhh!

Brandy

MazingerZ

#9 Post by MazingerZ »

Can't remember exactly. Totally slipped from my mind. Though at 4 weeks the stitches were getting really annoying. It broke into several threads and sometimes they go between my teeth. The first time it happened, I thought I was a klutz and left my dental floss so I pulled it! I immediately knew it was a mistake. :shock:

TheUnk311

#10 Post by TheUnk311 »

Well, 6 weeks and 3 days and finally all my stitches are gone. About a week ago they started getting really large from all the moisture they had absorbed, I carefully snipped the end ties off and managed to remove one myself.

Finally today I had a rather large burger, when I went to brush my teeth I noticed a lost a few stitches from it. So, I rubbed my finger over the remaining ones and they all came out without a problem. Feels pretty good!

Oddly enough I still have a feeling of the area being stretched when smiling though. Ah well, it still feels better than before.

sillikitti

#11 Post by sillikitti »

My stitches are driving me crazy! I was told a little after 2 weeks they will start to dissolve..but they are still fully there..now that the swelling inside my mouth has gone down i can see them and they are long! They go from just behind my back teeth all the way to my lower incisors. And when I talk and eat they get caught on my braces and it bleeds..owie!