I am Home.......

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vgmessenger

I am Home.......

#1 Post by vgmessenger »

Wow I do not even know where to start, I am home know and it has been 3 days.
Surgery was Tuesday morning in by 6am out @ 9am.

Seems like the worst part was Tuesday night, lots of swelling and it was super hard to breathe. They ordered wire cutters and a trach tray for emergency. I had lots of morph. and oxygen and ice packs and antibiotics, and dicradron and tramadol, I also had a heart monitor, bp cuff, and O2 sat monitor on. they were freaked out because all the swelling and my throat had some major swelling.

Wednesday morning I felt a bit better got to get a shower and man that made a huge difference they added some water to my oxygen and I switched up between my ice packs and theres. mine was just not getting cold enough, I am using mine better now that I am at home and I can put them in the freezer. I also got the BP cuff off and a hep locke instead of the IV pole all the time. When I did get my antibiotic they put my back on the pole.

Wednesday night I slept great by myslef and lots of drugs!! The food sucks and I did not eat very much at all. I did try and drink a ton.

Saw the doc on Thursday morning and all is good, still lots of swelling and some pressure. My face still looks as though I have been slapped around and I have these huge bruises all on the left side (OS said right side did the most bleeding but left looks the worst).

Went home unpacked and put my ice packs in the freezer and filled the other layed down took some drugs and did a little napping. Woke up hungry as all get out and my sis took me to the River Nile Bistro where I attempted (good attempt) to eat some Roasted Red pepper Soup. I only ate part of it but hey much better than the crap at the hospital (strained potatoe and strained pea). I do have a little indigestion know but i can remedy that. i came home with Lortab and some motrin so far that is working, we will see.

I go back to the OS office tomorrow and they are going to take some xrays and do not light banding, I will see my ortho on Monday at 8 am
I am so sorry this is a mess and I if you guys have any questions let me know and i will be more than happy to answer.

Victoria

sillikitti

#2 Post by sillikitti »

Well the worst is over! Welcome to the other side :)

vgmessenger

#3 Post by vgmessenger »

wow thanks seems like it took forever to get here and even seems crazier that i am up @ 3:51. No really I am up because like all females I had to pee pee and I also needed to change out my ice packs. Still lots of swelling. The inside of my mouth feels as if I am having it repaved, guess that will get better (while I am up I think I should also take my prozac).

Thanks for the replies guys nice to know people are going through the same .........................

More later I am sure I will have to let you guys know about my first visit back to the OS at 1:00 pm on Friday goes.

Victoria

vgmessenger

#4 Post by vgmessenger »

6 days since BSSO

So I saw the OS on Friday and he said everything looked great, he also added 2 elastics to the from top to bottom which does it make alot harder to mummble. I do not like these at all! I am aslo very tired all the time. I am trying to not take any pain meds. Any suggestions for over the counter or just maybe what you guys did for the swelling etc. The OS told me that ice or warmth would not help anymore. My jaw just seems so heavy and I feel like I am tired of holding it up!! I almost feel crazy. When I did go out, I felt like I needed a sign that read 3 days out from Jaw Surgery, just so people did not think my husband did this to me. One of my nurses was going to smother him with a pillow for me if he did lol. apparently she had not looked at my chart and therefore did not know that I had voluntarly had this done to myself. Well i think I need to go and do something, just not for sure what yet.

Victoria

sillikitti

#5 Post by sillikitti »

Good news that things are looking great! Too bad for the elastics..I can understand that. I hate mine too..the constant pulling gives me a headache.
As for over the counter drugs, I'm not sure about others, but I just took Advil. It helped with pain and achyness. And the swelling..I did the ice and heat things too. I also slept elevated for awhile. I'm still a bit swollen. I guess waiting for it to go away is part of the process too.

science teacher

surgery

#6 Post by science teacher »

Heat will definitely work to reduce swelling if you are 6 days out. As a general rule after 3 days ice is only for comfort, heat is for healing.

My OS told me to take advil around the clock for about 4 days and then see if the swelling was less.

He also told me to use heat, heat, heat. I'd lay in the bathtub with a warm, wet washcloth over my face, Boy that felt good.

Sleeping elevated also really helped.
kim
SARPE 11/23/06
Expansion over 12/18/06 8.5mm
Brace day tops 1/15/07
Brace day bottoms 3/19/07
all expansion devices removed 9/19/07

vgmessenger

#7 Post by vgmessenger »

Thanks you guys i am going to try the heat!!! I have also been taking Motrin and that does seem to help a bit. Did I say I hate the elastics!!!

Elastic Hater Victoria

HighandLo

#8 Post by HighandLo »

Elastic Hater :wink: ,

I think light walks would help improve your circualtion and help with the swelling. I know, when you're tired that's the last thing you want to do, but it helps to get your muscle strength back.

Have you tried the bromelain capsules yet? I suppose you could put the powder in your food if you can't swallow the capsule.

Lo