Need BSSO advice!!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lacyrrt

Need BSSO advice!!

#1 Post by lacyrrt »

Hi there! I am having BSSO with rigid fixation sometime in September and I have a million questions. Basically the most important things I need to know is how long should I stay off work....I am a respiratory therapist in a hospital and work 12 hour shifts at night. Also how much total not including orthodontics should this cost? I will not be staying overnight in the hospital as I am paying out of pocket for the entire thing. Fortunately I get a real nice discount for working in the hospital. :D And finally I am very concerned about numbness after the surgery. I'd love to hear your stories on BSSO as I am sure you all will understand my feelings at this point.

vgmessenger

#2 Post by vgmessenger »

Hey Lacyrrt

I had BSSO on June 19th. I was inpatient for 3 days. My girls stayed with my mom for about 2 weeks. If I worked I could have gone back by now and maybe a week ago, but give yourself some time to rest, I think that plays a major role in healing!!

As for cost, I have BC/BS and my husband works for the hospital, so we are not paying anything out of pocket.

As for numbness, It has been 17 days and I still have little feeling in my lower lip and no feeling in my chin. However everyones recovery is different. Some have no numbness. Hope this helped a little.

Victoria

massey1873

#3 Post by massey1873 »

Hi, I had a BSSO on May 8th. Braces cost about $4500 and the surgeons fees were another 4500, then there is the surgery center of about $3400 (including anesthia). It is definately expensive.

I have complete numbness in my lip and chin. But my degree of numbness is supposedly rare. (My nerve was completely damaged, whatever that means). MY oS said some degree of numbness or tingling is common because of just moving the nerve.

As for staying off of work - - my surgery was outpatient which I don't recommend. I was out of surgery (I also had another surgery at the same time) and sent home within two hours. But I would hope you could stay off of work for at least 3 weeks considering the shifts are so long. At about two weeks you are feeling normal but SOOO tired in the evenings.

Good luck

Omykiss

#4 Post by Omykiss »

Hi lacyrrt

I just had BSSO and genio last week (June 27) and i am finally starting to feel like myself today (9 days post surgery). I will not return to work until next Th or Fr but would not really have the energy to go back until then I think (I could probably go half time next Mon/Tues but have plenty of paid time off so I will use it). Sleep has been an issue for me, so I get tired pretty easily. Personally I would recommend a 2 week absense (but as you can see from other posts, each case is individual).
As for numbness, my lower lip was a little numb at first, but has gotten better and is mostly back to normal. My chin is still dead numb, but I start to feel some tingling every now and again so hopefully that is good sign.
My surgery story is posted at "one week down, doing ok" if you want to read a little more about my experience with the process so far.
As for cost, some of mine was covered with insurance, without insurance benefits and orth, all told between surgeon, hospital and anesthesiologist was around $10k.

HighandLo

#5 Post by HighandLo »

lacyrrt,

I had a BSSO on June 30 and started feeling better about Day 7. Before that, I was mainly up for 2-3 hours and then resting for 2-3 hours, even at night. My energy level was pretty low, I'm sure also due to the meds that make you a bit drowsy. Now at Day 9, suddenly I have more energy! I did start eating soft foods over the weekend and I know that this helped. We have 3 dogs and I like to walk them for a few minutes each morning. This helps with the 'ol circulation. I am working parttime from home this week and will rest as necessary.

I was also more concerned with the numbness than most anything else. I had some feeling in all of my face when I woke up from surgery, but my chin and lower lip still have partial numbness. I have hope, though, as my right jaw was partly numb and now it's almost back to full feeling!

My surgery took almost 2 hours and I was in recovery for an hour and then booted out the door shortly therafter. :shock: I was home by 2:30. It was OK, though, as I did not want to stay overnight unless absolutely necessary and I told my doctor this. I was fine at home, with my husband to take care of me. No real pain to speak of yet.

Lo