When oh when will I get my braces off?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nvcarissa

#16 Post by nvcarissa »

Like many here, I was told that my braces would probably come off six months post op. I guess that's the standard response. Well, IF my debanding date holds, it will be 13 1/2 months post op that they will come off. And yes, at about six months I felt like I was going to lose my mind. Tweak, tweak, weird gaps, more tweaks, but now, finally...it looks ready to go.

Crossing my fingers...but not holding my breath! :roll:

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

freerideuk

#17 Post by freerideuk »

are you aloud to tell your ortho that you feel your bite is as close as you want and you just want them off?

cause if i had my braces on longer than 6 months after my opp ad just want them off lol

xxx

phil

#18 Post by phil »

I am planning on about 12 months post-op ortho...if I'm lucky! There's still a lot of work left to do with my bite, and I dare say that it will take a while before my mandible establishes equilibrium, and they know exactly WHERE my bite should be!

I figure if I accept it now, and my debanding ends up being sooner than a year from now, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I look at it this way--I lived with my malocclusion for over 40 years, what's one more year in my life to get it right? And dealing with braces is NOTHING compared to recovery from surgery!

iristurquoise

#19 Post by iristurquoise »

I love all the positive attitudes. My orthodontist said yesterday "Well yah between 6 -12 months." Sometimes I wish he'd just say "Yah about 6 months" and I'd take it as it was if it was longer. I'm coming to realize though that the month that has just passed after my surgery flew by and 5 months from now really isn't that far away. I just pray I'll be pleasantly surprised.
As for the method, I'd say you were right because I only had regular orthodontic elastics after the surgery. After a week I was more or less back to normal too.

asd

#20 Post by asd »

Ive just turned 18, i was wondering if age matters as to how long after the op you keep them on, because i thought mayve if your older your teeth may have more of a tendancy to move back to how they were. Im just so desperate to get mine off. Im 4 weeks post op and want them off already!! My authodontist had said they earliest they could come possibly come off is 6 weeks but my teeth have gone all wierd and gappy since they op so im guessing it will be 3-6 months which is the average.

iristurquoise

#21 Post by iristurquoise »

I'm hoping someone could answer this question too. I'm in the same boat (17 and 5 weeks post op ) but my orthodontist was not as sympathetic as yours.

ohmyjaw

#22 Post by ohmyjaw »

I am exactly four months post-op today. I think I have a ways to go, but I am afraid to ask just how long. My teeth look pretty good, but they don't fit together that well. I thought they would fit together really nicely after the surgery, but that is just not the case.