I can't say I'd do it again...

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SleazyG

I can't say I'd do it again...

#1 Post by SleazyG »

Well, I made it to the other side. My surgery was on August 29th. I've waited this long to post about my experience because I wanted to gain some perspective and gather my feelings about this whole ordeal before I fired off a post that was too pessimistic and frightening to others who may undergo this surgery. In an effort to keep this post as short as possible, I'll just summarize the most notable of events and try to give any advice I can.

Pay for a private hospital room, if you can afford it. My first neighbor was annoyingly chatty and drove away the nurses whom I needed help from and my second neighbor coughed loudly all night long and then had the most obnoxious, caustic, loud-mouthed family that visited him everyday and deprived me of any chance of sleeping during the day (not his fault at all, but still a miserable situation).

Make sure your hospital is well air-conditioned and/or heated. I was unlucky enough to have surgery during an unprecedented heat-wave here in Southern California and unlucky enough to be put in the oldest wing of the hospital with the least amount of air-conditioning. My room was 85 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm not kidding when I say it was like recovering in a sauna. Sometimes I took the ice off my jaws and simply put it on my forehead!

Never have surgery on or near a holiday weekend. I had surgery the Wednesday before Labor Day weekend. Afterwards, I was left in care of the hospital's oral/maxillofacial residents. The problem was, by the time the nurses and residents took me off the pain machine that allowed me to administer myself a dose of Dilaudid (hydromorphone) every six minutes, the holiday weekend was quickly approaching and everyone wants to do anything but hang around a hospital on a holiday weekend. Hence, my pain pump was removed, the Dilaudid wore off pretty quickly, I discovered the next pain medication I'd been prescribed (liquid oxycodone) had no effect on me and not one of the residents was there to change the prescription nor did any one of them answer the nurses' pages for five hours. My second day of recovery from having both my jaws broken and I was forced to endure five hours of intense pain like I've never felt before (and I walked on a broken leg for three days once when I was a teen). During these five hours, one of the nurses noticed I'd been prescribed topical lidocaine and suggested I swish my mouth with it. I did, but it's putrid taste caused me to vomit what little liquids I had in my stomach shortly thereafter. This only exacerbated things and managed to make me feel worse. When asked what the pain I was experiencing felt like on a scale of one to ten, I answered ten to which my nurse looked at her colleague and rolled her eyes. Maybe I was being a baby, but I have never, ever felt anything like that before and it completely knocked me on my ass. Maybe I should have saved that ten on the pain scale to describe what it would feel like if I'm ever stabbed in the chest, but barring that happening, I can't imagine much else feeling like day two of recovery from jaw surgery with no pain medication. When one of the residents did return, I was prescribed such a large dose of morphine that my breathing slowed to dangerous levels and I had to be put on oxygen and monitored. Eventually, I was prescribed a weaker pain medication, hydrocodone a.k.a. Vicodin, but weaker or not, it worked very well.

Catheters hurt. I should know...I had four of them. My first catheter must've been put in sometime during surgical preparations. It was taken out right before I was taken off the pain machine. I was told I had to urinate on my own in six hours or the nurses would have to put in another. The only liquids in my system at that point were from the I.V. and I've never had a very "active" bladder, so six hours went by with no urination and my second catheter, one that was only temporary and used to drain the bladder then removed, was administered that evening. I was given until morning to urinate on my own before a third catheter was required. Morning came and I still hadn't ingested any liquids nor felt the need to urinate. The third catheter was put in early that afternoon. After my pain was in greater control, the third catheter was removed and I was, once again, given another deadline. This deadline passed as well with no urination and since I was looking at impending discharge from the hospital, a fourth catheter that I would be required to go home with was administered. The fourth catheter would hopefully be removed during a urology consult the same day as my one-week post-operative appointment with my surgeon. My appointment date approached and the urology department wouldn't see me because I wasn't a juvenile, so my surgeon offered to remove the catheter himself. Talk about mortifying. I had to drop my trousers in the middle of the university's dental school practice and have my oral/maxillofacial surgeon pull out the catheter with only curtains separating us from tens of patients getting root canals the next cubicle over. Also, make sure the nurse administering or removing your catheter is a seasoned pro. The least painful catheters were done by older nurses who looked like they'd been there for years. The most painful one was done by a pretty, young nurse that, as soon as she started reading the directions on the package, I knew would "butcher" me. When I mentioned to one of my nurses that I dreaded getting one of those additional catheters, she said "Men always have such problems with those. It's not that bad." Yeah, well maybe it's not that bad compared to childbirth, but since men cannot know what that feels like, it's pretty bad. I wanted to reply "How about I jam a swizzel-stick up your pee-hole and see how you like it?"

Make sure the hospital fills your prescriptions before you're discharged. On the fourth day, the hospital didn't get around to discharging me until 8:30pm at which point their pharmacy had closed and they refused to fill my prescriptions. I was actually discharged from the hospital without any pain medications, antibiotics, etc! Luckily I live in a large city and my father was able to find a drugstore with a pharmacy open until 10:00pm.

Once I got home in my air-conditioned apartment with some peace and quiet, pain medication that actually worked and the company of my parents who were dedicated to helping me through this, my recovery really took off. But even then it was much harder and more painful than I had ever anticipated. Maybe I was completely naive about what jaw surgery would entail and what I would have to endure? I remember writing on my dry-erase board those days in the hospital that this surgery was the worst mistake I'd ever made and I would never recommend anyone go through it no matter what. Now, I can't say that is an accurate statement and it was probably the histrionics of someone in pain writing that, but even though I am in little to no pain now and am healing fairly well, I can't say I'd do it all over again. I'll leave that final verdict for when all is said and done and I can judge the final results.

Brandyleigh35

#2 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with your surgery. I'm a firm believer that surgery is very different and individual for each person. While you had a ton of pain and were excrutiatingly miserable. I had hardly any, never used anything more then Advil, and found this whole ordeal to be way way less stressful then I had thought it would be.

I'm currently 4.5 months post op, from upper, lower, and genio. Things are so much better now then they were at 1 month. My bite is on, and I have never felt better. I would recommend this surgery to anyone!

I think many of your suggestions are right on, getting your perscriptions filled early, having a private room, not having surgery before a holiday etc. All good advice. Many doctors are not as up front about the discomforts that may go along with this surgery. I think that much of the responsiblity for treatment these days (not just for jaw surgery) relies on the patient to know what to ask and to basically manage their own care to some degree. I cannot emphasize how important it is to know what to expect, what questions to ask, and to be prepared for anything that might come down the pike, by doing the research on it.

I had absolutely nothing that I experienced or happen to me that I did not know about or was not prepared for ahead of time.

I'm not discounting your experience, I think its good that you posted it for others to see. It is important and educational in terms of helping others know what to expect, as well as how to better prepare for it.

I'm very sorry your experience was so bad, thankfully you are past the worst now, and hopefully things will continue to improve and get better from here on out. Good luck to you!

Brandy

4beauty4symmetry

#3 Post by 4beauty4symmetry »

I don't know if it would make you feel better or worse to hear that your experience in the hospital is among the worst I have read of people having this surgery.

I don't understand why you weren't drinking fluids--weren't you able to? I thought fluids was essential to recovery--and drinking them would have resulted in the removal of the catheter.

I'm sure the pain, anxiety, and anger of those days in the hospital has impeded your overall recovery--it's essential to rest in the aftermath of invasive surgery, and obviously recuperative sleep was denied you.

Am angry with your surgeon for not making sure you would have adequate care in the hospital, esp given it was Labor day weekend.

Take care of yourself. The worst is behind you. Remember: "What doesn't kill me, makes me stronger."
Dec 2006--RPE followed by SARPE surgery
Jan 2007--Braces
Nov 2007 BSSO mandibular setback, genioplasty, and two implant anchors. Surgery-eve reprieve from Lefort.
May 2008--Debraced

Surgeries in Costa Rica, Orthodontics in Massachusetts.

All to fix an openbite, crossbite, underbite, and two missing bottom molars.

Supermax

#4 Post by Supermax »

Eeeek! I can't believe you went through all of that in a first world country!

Holiday weekend or not your care and management is still their responsibility, and i'm really sorry to hear that you had to endure all of that.

It really does get better every day from now on. Good Luck

ohmyjaw

#5 Post by ohmyjaw »

SleazyG, I am so sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Truly, what happened to you is totally unacceptable. I had a rough time with pain myself, but nothing like you. I had injections of morphine every four hours in the hospital, and liquid morphine at home. It wasn't pain-free but I managed...

A couple of questions - how long did you stay in the hospital, and when did they start giving you fluids to drink? Do you think the difficulty peeing had anything to do with the pain meds - I seem to remember some painkillers can make it difficult to pee.

Also, did the hospital try to reach your surgeon, when the residents didn't respond?

I don't think you were naive about jaw surgery - your experience is not typical. Of course it is not a walk in the park, but I did not find it excrutiating (and I do not think many others have).

I hope that you are pleased with your results eventually, and thank you for sharing your story. I think there are some good lessons to take away from it.

dubnobass

#6 Post by dubnobass »

That sounds awful. I can quite understand why you'd feel that way, having gone through all that. Just goes to show how much peoples' experiences can differ, I suppose - I've never read another account quite like yours.

I was fortunate not to have any pain post-op, but even the discomfort was enough to make me wonder for a while, in the wee small hours, if it had all been worth it. If I'd had pain like yours, a catheter, or more than one overnight stay in hospital I think I'd have a very similar opinion to you.

I guess it doesn't help that the post-op recovery takes so long and leaves most of us with speech/eating problems for several weeks. It's not even as though the hospital is the no-fun bit and then it instantly gets better again. It's a long time before you can really start to see the benefits.
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

TownAndGown

#7 Post by TownAndGown »

Hi SleazyG

So sorry you had such a bad time. I wonder how you're feeling now?

I know it's completely different, but I had a really bad time when one of my sons was born by C section - they cut my bladder by mistake and sewed me up without knowing. I was in SUCH pain. They kept telling me to pee and I couldn't. I was catheterised a million times. They got quite cross with me and made me think I was a hyperchondriac. I had to walk around the ward 2 times in exchange for pain relief. The urine was filling up in my stomach cavity and after 10 days it spurted through the CS wound. That told them. You should have seen them rushing around. They pushed blue dye through the catheter and it came out of the wound and went everywhere. It stained the room floor and couldn't be cleaned!

My mother told me that when pain was unbearable, you just passed out. No such luck.

Anyway, our cases are very rare, I've never known anyone else to suffer like I did. At least we can tell someone.

And I'd do it all again.

simplywired

#8 Post by simplywired »

My God, SleazyG - what a nightmare. Perhaps your only consulation is things can only go up after that horrific hospital experience.

You make me feel like a big baby as I've been feeling sorry for myself lately over a little nausea and I couldn't have had a nicer, more caring staff and experience while I was in the hospital.

You're in my thoughts - please keep us informed on your progress.

SandraJones

#9 Post by SandraJones »

Oh SleazyG, I feel really bad that you had to go through all of that ! The hot hospital room on its own would have driven me batty, I can't stand being hot in bed !! My recovery was very smooth but I clearly remember being quite cranky at times, including while I was still in the hospital, and if I'd had to endure what you did I think I would have exploded ! Btw, I too vomited after surgery, with my jaws fully wired, Not fun !

Others would be smart to follow your advice !
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

sauerkraut

#10 Post by sauerkraut »

SleazyG I just wanted to add my sympathy too. What a horrible experience, and I'm impressed that you can write about it in such a measured way. :thumbsup:

Will you need any more surgery? Hopefully you can find a different hospital if so! All the best with your ongoing recovery. :D

jjames

#11 Post by jjames »

Oh Sleazy G - I think we all read this post in horror and sympathy. I had BSSO on Monday, and although my hospital stay was bad, it was NOTHING in comparrison to yours. I can't imagine being in a hot hospital room with a constantly yammering roomie and both my jaws broken - my one was more than enough. That sucks. But, like you, the nurses seemed to think I was faking with the pain as well. I got out of surgery at 11:30 a.m. and didn't get any pain meds until 5 p.m. when they finally gave me a shot of morphine which 'cause me to yack up what looked like a bucket of blood I'd swallowed during surgery. When I came to and asked for some pain meds they did me just like they did you and rolled their eyes. And who would have thought a catheter would be such a PROBLEM!!! I can't imagine having one put in over and over again that many times - that should have never happened to you. It almost seems like the nurses just didn't know how to handle specific jaw surgery like you had. Did you at least have a jaw wrap on hand or did you have to make do with whatever they gave you? You just be glad you're out of there and concentrate on getting better. We're all rooting for ya.