Bad News!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pokergirl

Bad News!

#1 Post by pokergirl »

I went to an Ear, Nose & Throat doctor today for the pain that I've been having in my ear/upper jaw area. Since my surgery four months ago, I have severe pain in my left ear when I wake up from sleeping on my left side. At first I thought it was from my jaw not being 100 percent healed. Then I was convinced that I had some kind of ear infection or eustacion tube problem. But the ENT told me today it's not my ear; it's most likely TMJ, which would explain the "issue" with my husband.

I can't remember who all on here has or has had TMJ problems, but if anyone can tell me what sort of treatments work or don't work, I'd appreciate it.

crazybeautiful

#2 Post by crazybeautiful »

This is interesting as I sometimes get the same thing (pre any surgery). But I always assumed it was just because I was prone to ear infections (runs in the family) and as it is just my left side, I didn't really think much of it- but maybe TMJ is my problem too. My pain isn't frequent though, so I just moan when it happens but swiftly get over it

ekin

#3 Post by ekin »

I had TMJ problems and wore a occlusal splint for six months before my braces (four days ago). The splint helped move my jaw back into it's position. It took a bit to get used to. When I was done with the splint I could only bite down with my back teeth, which is why over time my jaw moved forward to be able to use my front teeth. Now I'm in braces and I will be getting mini implants that will help move my back molars into the bone further so my front teeth will touch.

pokergirl

#4 Post by pokergirl »

I saw my ortho today for the first time since I was unwired. I saw his assistant the last 2 months because he was out of the office. I told him about the jaw problems I've been having and he believes the elastics I've been wearing might have been causing it. He told me to stop wearing them (yippee) and see if it gets better. I'm sure hoping so.

Andantae

#5 Post by Andantae »

Oh, that would be wonderful,Poker Girl, if it turns out to be as simple as that!!! I would hate to think that resolving one problem created another.

Let us know when you start feeling better, OK?
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM