Has this happened to anyone else, oozing tooth post op-HELP

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

loulou123

Has this happened to anyone else, oozing tooth post op-HELP

#1 Post by loulou123 »

Im 8 days post op today, (lower jaw and wisdom teeth removal) and just now i lent my head backwards slightly and was suddenly aware of this really nasty taste in my mouth, and something kinda oozing from one side near where the stitches are :shock: i spat it out into a tissue and it was a yellowly orange colour and smelt rather nasty. It continued to ooze for about 5 minutes and then stopped again. This side of my face is much more swollen and tender.

Has anyone else had this?? Im not sure if its a sign of infection, or just some gunk that beens hanging around since the surgery. I have a app with the surgeon on thursday, but am quite worried in the meantime, as ive been through a rough time so far :cry:

Anything similar anyone can share would be very much appreciated.

Lou

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

clairet707

#2 Post by clairet707 »

Oooh does sound infection like loulou, can you phone the surgeon or hospital or even your GP and ask them before thursday

Were you on antibiotics after your op?

jjames

#3 Post by jjames »

Oh poor loulou, yeah, I think you would want to get that seen about asap. I had my wisdom teeth out separate from my jaw surgery and got something which could be real similar to what you're describing. I just rinsed the site 10 times a day with salt water and the smell could only be what I would describe as putrid. It finally got o.k., but since you're had your jaw worked on in conjunction with the wisdom teeth out, I'd think you'd want to go right away, because you don't want that infection to get into the bone. I would think yes, you ought to go to the doctor as soon as you can. and I'm sure you are, and I know it's nasty, but that chlorahydrexine (sp?) stuff they give you works for keeping your mouth clean and make sure you're using it for all it's worth.

loulou123

#4 Post by loulou123 »

Hmm thats what i was afraid of :roll:

Clairet707-can call the hospital tomorrow, but really dont want to have to go in 2 days in a row, as im now living 25 miles away from hospital and need someone to take the time off work to take me over there. Stepdads already doing this thursday :? so bit of an issue.

James-Ive been using the mouthwash like its going out of fashion :wink: every day. Trouble is its so damn hard to brush my teeth, it could just have been something trapped and got nasty :shock: Definately dont want the infection in the bone as thats already happened to me once before. Hmm.

Will see how it is in the morning and go from there, i dont have a temperature which is a good sign i guess.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

clairet707

#5 Post by clairet707 »

loulou123 wrote:Hmm thats what i was afraid of :roll:

Clairet707-can call the hospital tomorrow, but really dont want to have to go in 2 days in a row, as im now living 25 miles away from hospital and need someone to take the time off work to take me over there. Stepdads already doing this thursday :? so bit of an issue.

James-Ive been using the mouthwash like its going out of fashion :wink: every day. Trouble is its so damn hard to brush my teeth, it could just have been something trapped and got nasty :shock: Definately dont want the infection in the bone as thats already happened to me once before. Hmm.

Will see how it is in the morning and go from there, i dont have a temperature which is a good sign i guess.
If you call them, they might suggest going to your local gp or even the local walk in centre (there is one in portsmouth, Ive had to use it, though not sure how far you are from it), it might just be a case of antibiotics

skintz

#6 Post by skintz »

Yeah lou, i would def phone them-if not, phone NHS direct and see what they suggest, they're normally pretty good... 0845 4647 (seems like a short number but thats it)
I don't think i'd wait til thurs-if it is an infection, the sooner you start antibiotics, the sooner it can clear up :)

Sarah x

ps, just replied to your PM :)

Daveyboy

#7 Post by Daveyboy »

Hi LouLou,

I also had something very similar to this when I had my wisdoms out. Not to be too graphic.. but it was a bit like snot coming from the wound! It lasted about 2-3 days and started about 4 days after having the teeth out.

In your case however I would definately get it checked sooner rather than later as it's worth double checking, and ensuring that it doesn't cause any issues with the jaw surgery.

On a seperate note... I hope the recover is going better? I really felt for you reading your account of the first few days so I hope you're feeling a bit more like yourself now. Keep it up!

Dave :D

Andantae

#8 Post by Andantae »

Yep! Definitely you need to call and probably go in. Maybe you can ask them if they can instead do tomorrow whatever it is you are scheduled for on Thursday? That way your stepfather only has to take time off 1 day---(yet I am sure he would rather take time off on 2 consecutive days than have you risk an untreated infection after all you have gone through!)
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

dubnobass

#9 Post by dubnobass »

I had a panicky incident about 5 days post op when it seemed that the sutures that ran round from the top incision to the inside of my cheek had become infected. There was a patch which seemed swollen and was oozing yellow stuff, and since my mouth was still swollen at that point, it was being rubbed quite hard by the brackets and was really painful.

After much ringing round, I was told to go back to the hospital to be checked out by the Maxfax team. After an almost 4-hour wait, when I just just about to be re-admitted to hospital to avoid crossing the 4-hr mark (some sort of government target for maximum wait time in A&E), two people appeared and examined me. They prodded me very hard in my sore patch and nearly made me cry, but said it wasn't infected - it's apparently quite normal for wounds to ooze yellow serum. This is very different to pus (which is usually thick and white, or greenish-white and a good indicator of infection).

I wouldn't waste my time with NHS Direct as their advice is always sympathetic but ends with the caveat that you should go and see a doctor anyway. It would be better to be seen by your surgeon or a member of the surgical team if you can. Presumably you are already taking antibiotics prophylactically? Try not to worry - chances are, it is not infected, but it would be better to be seen sooner rather than later if you can.

As a PS, at 2 months post-op, something at the back of my nose went 'pop' and some bright yellow runny liquid poured out of my nose. Bright yellow seems to be such an unecessarily alarming colour for mysterious runny stuff, doesn't it?
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

loulou123

#10 Post by loulou123 »

Thanks for the advice and sympathy everyone :D

I called the hospital and my surgeons not in today, but i spoke to someone else and gave them all the symptoms etc. They didnt seem that concerned and said if one place suddenly got very swollen (hard to tell as its still all very swollen :roll: ) or my temperature became raised to call them back immediately or go to casualty and get them to page a max fax team member. They said it was better to see my actual surgeon tomorrow, as mine isnt a straightforward case due to the other problems ive had, and he knows all the details etc.

Not sure how i feel about that, to be honest, they told me that an infection is unlikely as its pretty rare from this surgery, but the pessimistic part of me says, however unlikely it does happen to some people. :? Still its got no worse and i havent really noticed any oozing today, so fingers crossed itll be good news tomorrow.

Dubnobass-your post made me feel much better, as you seem to be describing pretty much the same thing, and the stuff was definatley yellowly, not white, so hopefully a good sign. The only antibiotics i had were through my drip during the 1st 24 hours :? did query this and my surgeon app doesnt believe its necessary??

clairet707

#11 Post by clairet707 »

loulou123 wrote:Thanks for the advice and sympathy everyone :D

I called the hospital and my surgeons not in today, but i spoke to someone else and gave them all the symptoms etc. They didnt seem that concerned and said if one place suddenly got very swollen (hard to tell as its still all very swollen :roll: ) or my temperature became raised to call them back immediately or go to casualty and get them to page a max fax team member. They said it was better to see my actual surgeon tomorrow, as mine isnt a straightforward case due to the other problems ive had, and he knows all the details etc.

Not sure how i feel about that, to be honest, they told me that an infection is unlikely as its pretty rare from this surgery, but the pessimistic part of me says, however unlikely it does happen to some people. :? Still its got no worse and i havent really noticed any oozing today, so fingers crossed itll be good news tomorrow.

Dubnobass-your post made me feel much better, as you seem to be describing pretty much the same thing, and the stuff was definatley yellowly, not white, so hopefully a good sign. The only antibiotics i had were through my drip during the 1st 24 hours :? did query this and my surgeon app doesnt believe its necessary??
Good ish news Loulou

though thats weird about the antibiotics - my surgeon automatically does a weeks dose straight after surgery, I had nasty banana flavoured amoxycillin as Im allergic to metronidazole (the usual mouth surgery one)

Hope the surgeon says its all ok tomorrow

dubnobass

#12 Post by dubnobass »

They gave me liquid co-amoxyclav (Augmentin) for a week post-op. I have to say, it was delicious and tasted like pina colada. I had a very sore throat for about 3 days after the chop so lovely, thick cold soothing pina colada being squirted down my raw throat was absolutely heavenly Image

You could try warm salt water rinses - I found those quite helpful in reducing soreness and they are antibacterial.
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

loulou123

#13 Post by loulou123 »

Claret and dubnobass-sounds like youve been much more spoilt then me, ive been swallowing all my medication in tablet form since the evening of the operation, no liquid ones for me (tho i did have a disolvable paracetamol if that counts-lol!) :roll:

it amazes me all the differences in treatment.

clairet707

#14 Post by clairet707 »

loulou123 wrote:Claret and dubnobass-sounds like youve been much more spoilt then me, ive been swallowing all my medication in tablet form since the evening of the operation, no liquid ones for me (tho i did have a disolvable paracetamol if that counts-lol!) :roll:

it amazes me all the differences in treatment.
Blimey heck (ooh thats very english :lol: ) tablets...

I couldnt get tablets through the gap in the elastics till 3 days after, all my meds were liquids, until Id had enough of the nasty taste and could fit tablet paracetamol through the gap, I then managed tablet voltarol too

jubba

#15 Post by jubba »

i had a similar experience and was told it was a hematoma (sp) i also got told it was very rare to have an infection after surgery and i was advised to stop the mouthwash and just rinse with salt water

whether it passed naturally or it was the salt water its all cleared up now

no more yucky oozing :)

hope yours is better now