Question about plates and screws?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

december08changed

Question about plates and screws?

#1 Post by december08changed »

I have posted this earlier but I didn't get very many replies so I thought I'd try again. When I touch my face I can feel screws and plates at the bottom of my nose on both sides and these don't bother me. The problem that I have is that when I touch my right cheek I can feel 2 big screws and plates and I can kind of feel them there when I'm not even touching my face. I'm just "aware" that they are there.
The thing is, when I touch my left cheek I can't feel anything there at all. I'm wondering if maybe something happened like a bad fracture during surgery so they had to add more hardware to the right side or something? I was even thinking of going back to the oral surgeon's office and seeing if taking the screws and plates out of the right side would be a viable option(I'm guessing not), and asking if there is a reason why I can feel screws distinctly on the right but not at all on the left. Can anyone relate to this?

dubnobass

#2 Post by dubnobass »

Yeah, I can. I can feel something sticking out about 1cm below my right eye socket, but not the left. I've looked at the x-rays and we've worked out that it's a screw I can feel, which for some reason isn't screwed in as far as the corresponding screw on the left hand side.

I can only feel it if I touch it with my finger, though. Some of the hardware to each side on my nostril, I can feel that when I smile sometimes.

Have a look at your x-ray, see what that shows you.
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

december08changed

#3 Post by december08changed »

Yeah thats exactly the same with me! I'm wondering why it wouldn't be screwed in the same. My main concern is that the screws are lose or something shifted. What did your OS say about it?

loulou123

#4 Post by loulou123 »

Im still too swollen to judge if i can feel any of mine yet :roll: but i know my surgeon said that some people, do need the plates taken out after a period of time due to infection or discomfort, so they obviously can take them out if required. (once the jaw is 100% healed im presuming)

i agree with dubnobass, speak to the hospital and ask to see the xrays etc, and go from there.

Good luck

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

december08changed

#5 Post by december08changed »

has anyone here had them removed? Do they bother anyone as well? I think I want them out eventually cause I can feel them and it's just weird.

loulou123

#6 Post by loulou123 »

Looks like i may be having one of mine removed cos of an infection around it :roll:

Tho i cant have it taken out until the jaw is healed etc, will let you know what happens.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/