Discolored Teeth

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bubbles

Discolored Teeth

#1 Post by Bubbles »

I had orthognathic surgery 3 1/2 weeks ago, double jaw. I noticed today that one of my bottom front teeth is discoloring a purple/black color on both the front and back side. I think it may be happening to my canine tooth on the top right too. I seem to recall that the surgeon mentioned that blackened teeth can be a complication from the surgery, but I do not remember the details and it is now the weekend and he will be away next week. Did anyone ever experience this or know anything about it. Does that mean that it is permanent or that I will lose those teeth? Does anyone know how long teeth getting discolored is a risk for or can it happen at anytime after the surgery. I am scared.

Bubbles

Discolored teeth

#2 Post by Bubbles »

I think from the inside because both the front and back are a purplish/black color.

Emaciated

#3 Post by Emaciated »

If the teeth are dying, its not permanent. I was in a car accident when I was in college and had two teeth turn gray. IF that's what's happening in your case your dentist can bleach them and they'll be white again. Does it suck that you have gray teeth? Yes... but its not the end of the world or anything to freak out about. It can be easily repaired.

Bubbles

Discolored teeth

#4 Post by Bubbles »

Thanks, Karl! That puts my mind at ease. I called my surgeons office yesterday, too and they said this is a common occurrence because the surgery can disrupt the blood supply to the tooth and most often the tooth can return to a normal color on it's own.

Spanner

#5 Post by Spanner »

If a tooth is darkened because it is dead then bleaching from the outside will not work.

When the pulp is dead or injured, the tooth will darken and the only way to bleach it is from the inside. I had this procedure done on my front tooth which is dead but it didn't work (it doesn't always).

Emaciated

#6 Post by Emaciated »

Yes, exactly. Its bleeched from the inside. That's what I had done to both teeth and it worked well. They've stayed white for 10 years now. If the guy thinks they'll go back on their own that's ideal obviously and will save you the trouble of sititng in the dentists' chair.

Spanner

#7 Post by Spanner »

KarlClayLA...oh ok thanks for clearing that up i just didn't want there to be any confusion that was all :)

Sadly it didn't work for me though, I tried it twice with no success. I will need to have a veneer when my treatment is finished.