Anyone had there jaws wired shut?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Paul

Anyone had there jaws wired shut?

#1 Post by Paul »

I found out my surgery date to day (18th July)!
I cant wait to get it over and done with and Im looking forward to it. Its been decided that I will have my top jaw brought forward, my bottom jaw rotated to correct asymmetry, and Im also going to need a bone graft.

I have also been told I'll have my jaws wired shut (didnt say for how long) and they also asked me if I liked soup?

If anyone has had their jaws wired, can you give me any tips on how to handle it etc?
I would also be grateful if anyone could tell me how long they think I might be wired shut for?

Cheers, Paul.

ohmyjaw

#2 Post by ohmyjaw »

Hi Paul,

I had my jaws wired shut for 10 days, but it varies so much (anywhere from 1 week to 6 weeks). Eating is going to be difficult, but you'll get through it. I would suggest ordering some Zip-N-Squeze bags, and definitely getting a blender. You will have to blend your food so that it is fairly thin and doesn't have any little bits in it (so use a strainer). Try to eat stuff that has lots of calories, and have lots of "comfort foods" on hand. Chocolate milkshakes worked well for me.

loulou123

#3 Post by loulou123 »

Hi

I orginaly needed the same as you doing, and faced being wired shut for 6 weeks. I was lucky however and ended up only needing the lower jaw done, which meant i didnt need wiring.

After a setback tho, i was tightly banded shut (id imagine this to be not AS bad as wired) for 6 weeks and although its pretty bad in the beginning, i got used to the restrictions. The blender will become your friend, tho your get more and more creative as to what you can blend as time passes.

Im sure your do fine, and were all here for support if you need us :D

Good luck

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

december08changed

#4 Post by december08changed »

Hey I had upper jaw surgery and initially I was supposed to be wired shut for 2 weeks but I cut off the wires after 10 days because I just couldn't take the garbage taste in my mouth. I went on heavy elastics for a few weeks after but I was allowed to eat soft foods that you didn't really have to chew and I brushed my teeth.

Luella

#5 Post by Luella »

Whenever we have to wire a patient's jaw shut, we always provide them with the Dinner Through A Straw book. Its super helpful! Its also nice to order it beforehand, so you can gather ingredients to have stuff ready. You're not going to feel like shopping for ingredients immediately post-op! Good luck!

P.S.
http://www.dinnerthroughastraw.net/
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified