Here i go again, plate removal surgery tomorrow morning :(

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

clairet707

#16 Post by clairet707 »

Oh Lou, more infection, fingers crossed the AB's work this time and this look up for you soon

((hug))

sauerkraut

#17 Post by sauerkraut »

Just seen this as I've been away for a week. Hope things are looking up a bit more for you now. All the best. :)

Delag

#18 Post by Delag »

How are you feeling today?

Andantae

#19 Post by Andantae »

Ditto Delag's question, Loulou; How are you feeling now? Any traces left of that infection? How's the swelling?
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

loulou123

#20 Post by loulou123 »

oops double post :roll:
Last edited by loulou123 on Wed May 21, 2008 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

loulou123

#21 Post by loulou123 »

Hey Guys :D BIG Thank you to everyone for there support over last few weeks :D :D sorry i havent updated you all, been abit fed up :( but feeling more cheerful today.

Think im progressing in the right direction, my temperature has certainly gone down, along with alot of the internal swelling. Meaning i can at least now see what the inside of my mouth looks like. Externally i still look like i have a egg or pool ball in my cheek, which is so not the best look! Everything inside looks ok, did have some redness round some of the stitches but it seems to be easing off. Properly just being abit negative, but still have the feeling that the infection isnt going to give up that easily, hopefully im wrong. :?

In myself i feel surprisingly ok, im still abit tired (but guess thats the anaesethic and antibiotics again) have found myself getting bit fed up, but thats hardly surprising. Theres still quite abit of pain but its only a week post 2nd op again i expected that. Have an appointment with the surgeon next week for a check up so guess ill know more then.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

tazzle

#22 Post by tazzle »

hi louise ..... i not been on here for a while , just caught up with the news

glad you have had thet ughy plate taken out at last ........... not surprised you are feeling up and down what with anaesthesia, infection and pain :cry: :cry: :cry:

(gentle) hugs and I do so hope it all gets better and better........

[/url]

ImageImage

JayC

#23 Post by JayC »

update?

loulou123

#24 Post by loulou123 »

Hey :lol:

Seeing my surgeon tomorrow, so hopefully ill know more then. But things are so so at the moment. Pain wise im doing pretty well, swelling is still very noticable on left side. Im praying and crossing everything that its now just residue swelling from the old infection and having my gum cut open again. :?

Am managing to keep my mood abit more cheerful at the moment, so thats a good step from a mental point of view. (im planning a holiday and thats always cheering! :D )

Meryaten-am hoping that the surgeon will say things are looking ok tomorrow, but if not i want a new plan, as this has dragged on long enough now.

Will update tomorrow with news.

tazzle

#25 Post by tazzle »

20 more fingers and toes crossed :wink:

[/url]

ImageImage

cmeyer115

#26 Post by cmeyer115 »

Got some more crossed for you in NC!!! Hope all goes well :lol:

loulou123

#27 Post by loulou123 »

Thanks for all the crossed fingers and toes :lol:

Well im back from seeing the surgeon and its good and bad news (isnt it always) at the moment, hes confident that there is no infection in the incision site (YIPEE :D) and im managing to keep it all clean and nice. Which is obviously fantastic news. More absolutley brilliant news is that ive been given permission to chew, well try and chew. Tho only very very soft things as i still have stitiches in and its early days since plate removal. :D Trouble is i dont know what to chew as my "1st thing". Hmmm. But sure ill find something. :D :wink:

On the bad news side, they are sending me for tests for diabetes etc, as app they think there might be an underlying medical reason for my bad luck, with the infection. :? Also there is still something wrong with the left side of my jaw, and they are now trying me on topical steroid cream in my mouth to ry and reduce the swelling. They think that the left over swelling at the moment is a combination of scar tissue and where i am STILL chewing on my cheek. (the chewing has resulted in a thickening of the inside of my cheek,) and the only way he could suggest of stopping me chewing it, if the steroids dont work was to wire my mouth shut for 4 weeks until its healed, as its become a vicious circle. Am REALLY hoping this doesnt need to be done. Could also need another small operation if the scar tissue becomes a problem to remove it, as its near the muscle. (dont really understand that!)

So a mixed bag, some great news and some not so good news. Hsve to go back next week, as they want to keep a close eye on me now. :?

loulou123

#28 Post by loulou123 »

Quick update

Still no sigh of the infection returning :D so actually beginning to believe that it might have gone. Tho at same time, cant quite believe it yet :?

It sounds a good idea about the barrier meryaten, i will ask the hospital about that on thursday, as ill try anything to stop it.

Am finding eating very very hard going, my jaw and teeth just dont seem to be in the "right" places anymore (which i guess to me there not) and its all abit frustarting. Guess thats all to be expected after over 3 months of not chewing tho.

dubnobass

#29 Post by dubnobass »

I found re-learning chewing quite difficult - everything moved, and it took ages to get used to, along with the jaw stiffness.

I still find chewing hard, 10 months down the line - I'm OK on the right-hand-side, but I manage to nip the inside of my mouth with the koyabashi (spc?) hooks every time I chew. I have to really concentrate - and 'make' myself use the left hand side of my mouth as my natural inclination is to chew on the right.
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

JayC

#30 Post by JayC »

yea the new bite feels weird. i coudl chew properly... my jaw muscles were also very stiff. itll be A ok within a matter of weeks