TORI'S SURGERY! ON THE OTHER SIDE (new pic)

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

carissa

#31 Post by carissa »

you look really great!!!

Munkys Girl
Location: Teesside, UK Girlfriend to: a Lefort 1 & BSSO patient!

#32 Post by Munkys Girl »

I agree, you do look fantastic! Your new profile pic reminds me a little of a friend of mine who's also very pretty. Has your swelling started to go down at all yet?

iBorg

#33 Post by iBorg »

At three days post surgery, I think you're really looking good. When this is all done, I think you'll look smashing. I'm sorry that your splint has grown yucky. Maybe someone can suggest a good mouth wash? I appreciate the information on clearing your nose. I never thought of that. It should be on the list of things we all should remember to do as we heal.

I hope the next week treats you well.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

tortor

#34 Post by tortor »

carissa, munkys girl, and iborg- thank you so much for the kind words!

As for my yucky splint, I use 3 mouthwashes to try and keep my mouth as clean as possible. I think part of the problem though is that since my cheeks and lips are still pretty swollen, I have a hard time swishing the stuff around in my mouth, and it mostly ends up dribbling out of my mouth before the 30 seconds of swishing is up.

Has anyone else found that their tongue is just being ripped apart!? I've been keeping myself very hydrated but for some reason my tongue seems to have been cut up my molar bands and very irriated by constantly rubbing against the splint. and there is nothing I can do about it :( oh how I long to use wax!

Today I am 6 days post op. This morning was the first morning that I actually saw a significant improvement in my swelling. Im really starting to see my new face shape, and I am OBSESSED with how I look with my hair pulled back now. Its such a great feeling because I've gone most of my life wearing my hair down trying to hide my features. Im beginning to understand why everyone who has gone through this process says it is so worth it :D

-Tori

Emaciated

#35 Post by Emaciated »

I remember my tongue getting chewed up too in there. I think that having plastic in your mouth for an extended period of time makes your mouth dry regardless of how hydrated you are, (i.e. your splint being in there) so your mouth gets all chewed up. I've discovered the same thing with the invisiline retainer I now wear. If I wear it at all throughout the day I end up with the worst dry-mouth imaginable even if I'm well hydrated and even after chugging down a huge volume of water.

You're diluting the mouthwash right? If not try mixing it with some water so its not quite as intense. So instead of rinsing once with a huge, burning mouthfull, try splitting a dose up into two and adding 1-part water to each dose. That might lessen the burn on the tongue but still kill all the germs in there.

carissa

#36 Post by carissa »

i too am finally able to enjoy the way i look with my hair pulled back! it's such a weird feeling to not be worried about your profile without your hair down in your face!! weird, but amazing.

iBorg

#37 Post by iBorg »

Tortor:
One of the things I find so absolutely amazing about this whole process is how a "minor" change can make such a positive change in our whole mental outlook. I know when I first started this and my teeth were actually visible, my boss commented on how much happier I seemed. Based upon that, going from where you've tried to hide your facial features to being proud of them has to make you absolutely giddy.

I do hope your recovery continues going well. Maybe Karl's suggestion on mouthwash will make a major improvement in how "yucky" your mouth feels.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

Munkys Girl
Location: Teesside, UK Girlfriend to: a Lefort 1 & BSSO patient!

#38 Post by Munkys Girl »

Hey how are you getting on?

I just noticed your splint topic too, did you decide speak to a surgeon or someone about it?

chipmunkcheeks

aweso

#39 Post by chipmunkcheeks »

well...its only aweso without the "me", meaning you. your face looks awesome!

Andantae

#40 Post by Andantae »

Oh so true, Tortor and iborg! Crazy as it sometimes sounds, we are soooo lucky to be able to do this for ourselves!

Tortor:
One of the things I find so absolutely amazing about this whole process is how a "minor" change can make such a positive change in our whole mental outlook. I know when I first started this and my teeth were actually visible, my boss commented on how much happier I seemed. Based upon that, going from where you've tried to hide your facial features to being proud of them has to make you absolutely giddy.
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

tortor

#41 Post by tortor »

Hey everyone...

Yesterday was 2 weeks post-op. I havent posted an update in a while because there hasnt been much progress for me. :( Initial swelling has gone down but seems to have plateaued. Its very discouraging to see other peoples 2-3 week post op pictures because it seems that most people look "normal" by then. I seem to have more swelling than the average orthognathic patient and the past week or so I've just been so depressed. Is this what Im going to look like? My face seems short and my chin seems to have disappeared. School starts in 2 weeks and based on the slow to almost no progress I've made, I'm very worried that I'm going to go back to school puffy and swollen.

I alternate heat and ice like crazy but nothing is helping. I'm still having alot of trouble speaking and I've come to accept that I'll have to continue grunting for the next 2 weeks until I get unwired. I miss real food. :(

Its been hard because I made a complete turn around. I went from being so excited about the results to feeling devastated. I've talked to my OS and my ortho about how I feel and they tell me that it's common to become depressed during recovery and that I'll feel much better once the swelling starts to go down...but my problem is that my swelling isnt going down. Some days it even seems like I have more swelling than I had the day before.

Everyone tells me to just be patient but its much easier said than done. Ive been trying to get out of the house but thats hard too when I dont want to be seen...especially by people I know. I wish I could just wake up tommorow and all the swelling just be gone.

december08changed

#42 Post by december08changed »

Hey Tori I can relate to what you're saying. I was swollen for a lot longer than most people are, but you are only 2 weeks post op, so this is pretty normal. My upper jaw was moved 8mm so it was more drastic. Things will get better just give it more time. It can be hard to go out in public when you're not comfortable being seen swollen, I kind of had the same problem. The best thing you can do is to try and be positive and have a sense of humor about it. Who cares what other people think? You won't be swollen forever and I'm sure you'll be happy with the permanent results. This is just some temporary discomfort that you have to go through, be strong! :wink:

carissa

#43 Post by carissa »

my sweeling went down drastically at the third week!! so keep your head up!

tortor

#44 Post by tortor »

hello everyone!

well after exactly 4 weeks of having my mouth wired shut, today was my big day!! Im finally unwired! I can't believe I made it through a month of a liquid diet. It was the WEIRDEST feeling to be able to open my mouth again, although I'm only able to open it about a finger width. My speech has been improving all morning. I only have a slight lisp due to the fact that I still have my splint in. My splint will stay in for another 2 weeks unfortunately, but I actually dont mind having it in because its sort of a comfort knowing that my teeth are coming together exactly where they are supposed to be.

My first real meal was mcdonalds hotcakes right after I left my OS's office :D It was seriously the best food I've ever had! haha All in all, I only lost about 3 pounds, thanks to my mom being the best nurse and forcing me to eat, or rather drink, something constantly.

The countdown to getting my splint out begins!...

Take care everyone,
Tori

iBorg

#45 Post by iBorg »

With a day of dealing with insurance....you've done well today. You made me smile.

Your success is inspiring and I can only wish you well.

When's your first steak or salad bar scheduled?

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009