lips don't meet!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

doddares

lips don't meet!

#1 Post by doddares »

Hi,

I just wanted to ask a question. I had a maxillofacial surgery about 9 weeks ago now. In lamens terms maxillary advancement and mandibule set back (bimaxillary osteotomy). Im just concerned when is the swelling totally gone, as my lips dont meet in their rest position, there is a space between my lips when i teeth are in full contact. Did anyone have this experience, do my muscles have to lengthen due to the new bone position ? Also i seem to have a gummy smile which i didnt before which again i believe is due to my lips not meeting in the rest position.

Any advice would be appreciated
Good luck to all
Cheers

asd

#2 Post by asd »

Hiya, i had the same problem after my surgery too, even at 3 months post op when the swelling at totaly gone my lips still wouldnt touch and clsoe without force, i think its just the muscles that need to gain strength again, im now 8 months post op and my lips are back to normal.

doddares

#3 Post by doddares »

Thank you asd.

Emaciated

#4 Post by Emaciated »

I didn't have a problem with my lips meeting as they were swollen beyond belief. However, I do now have a gummier smile than I did before due to my upper jaw being moved forward. I'm still happy with my new smile, its grown on me, but it is definitely gummier.

Example, compare this center picture (before) to this center picture (after).

doddares

Update about my bimaxillary surgery.

#5 Post by doddares »

Hi, my last post was ooo several months back. I was complaining about lip incompetence and gummy smile.

I just wanted to inform any one with this problem that my lip incompetence improved. It took about 8 months but now my lips in rest position do meet.

With regards to my gummy smile its also improved but definitely gummier then pre-surgery but definitely not as bad as I first feared.

To anyone going through this op, it took me 7 months before I could look in the mirror as say ' yeah i recognise myself '.

Hope this helps anyone not so pleased with their surgery, be patient.

OzzysMom

#6 Post by OzzysMom »

I am confused here........isn't one of the main reasons for having this surgery to REDUCE the gummy smile?

Now I'm getting scared.
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

doddares

#7 Post by doddares »

true story. It depends on the surgery your having. Some surgeries are to reduce the length of the upper jaw, maxilla. In my surgery they had lower the upper jaw slightly and one of the side effects could be a slightly gummier smile. What surgery are you having ?

OzzysMom

#8 Post by OzzysMom »

Hi Dodares,
I guess I am not familiar with all the different surgeries yet. I need a Lefort1, bsso and genio. Here is a link to a post where I included my pics. I've had a gummy smile forever so I hope that will be corrected with surgery.
viewtopic.php?p=275821&highlight=#275821
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

OzzysMom

#9 Post by OzzysMom »

Thanks, Meryaten........the lefort 1 I am having is impaction and the bsso is to bring my lower jaw forward and my chin will be moved forward as well.
I'm still learning about all the different types of surgery here!

tortor

#10 Post by tortor »

I am worried about this as well. I am 3 weeks post op and although I am aware that I still have a substantial amount of swelling, my mouth in its current "natural" position hangs open really wide. Everyone reassures me its because of the splint but I honestly dont think the splint is big enough to keep my lips from closing without alot of effort. However, I do get my splint out in a week so I'll be back to update if my lips close any easier. I dont want to go back to school with my mouth always hanging open :oops:

doddares

#11 Post by doddares »

Ozzysmum - well it seems Meryaten explained everything pretty clearly to you. So now you know.

Tori - like I said previously I had a gap between my lips and if there's a splint your mouth well there's no way your not going to have a gap. After that you may still have lip incompetence due to swelling; after removal of the splint if you still possess a gap it will and can take time for your muscle to adapt to the new bone structure.

Like I said its taken my lips almost 8 months for to kiss each other. However I think I was a special case and most people don't even have this problem.

Be patient.

Happysmiler

#12 Post by Happysmiler »

When you have a straightforward le fort I (without impaction) they simply move the upper jaw forward. Because of the angle that the maxilla sits at, it doesn't come horizontally forward, but comes downwards aswell as forwards at a very slight angle - this is why you can end up with slightly more gum showing than before, because the jaw has come down.

When they do a le fort I with impaction, they actually shave an amount of the bone off, therefore reducing the height of the maxilla and bringing the teeth up - this in turn reduces a gummy smile.

Hope this is helpful
Happysmiler