Now Terrified, Recovery Time for Surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nomadic myth

Now Terrified, Recovery Time for Surgery

#1 Post by nomadic myth »

I was at my orthodontist yesterday getting my wires changed, and asked about surgery. It'll be next summer, and will move my lower jaw back to correct an under bite.

I was asking him how much time I need to recover. He said it'll be about six weeks before I can talk! Is this for real?

I can only get five weeks maximum off from my teaching job over the summer, and would kind of like to be able to teach three weeks post op. I know it won't be pleasant to teach, but I would like to be able to talk. My teaching load is very (VERY) light.

JennX

#2 Post by JennX »

nomad-- I had upper and lower (lower moved forward), and had the rigid internal fixation with elastics that Meryaten described. I was rubberbanded shut for 5 weeks. Technically I could "talk" during that time, and be understood with difficulty-- the thing that really made me unintelligible was the splint they put in between my teeth. This was a surprise, as I was led to believe that talking wouldn't be too hard post-op. So maybe your doc is just trying to give you a really conservative outlook on what to expect?

I imagine being truly wired shut would be even worse. At one of my weekly post-op visits, they double-looped my elastics--effectively preventing me from opening my mouth AT ALL--and then I really couldn't be understood at all.

Either way, you will probably have a tough time teaching at three weeks. Even when my mumbles could be understood, I had almost no ability to project my voice until the bands came off and the splint came out.

Thathrill

#3 Post by Thathrill »

my situation was similar to your. I needed my underbite corrected and was offered those same 2 procedure that mery stated.

I elected for BSSO so I would be placed in rubber bands. I didn't want to be wired shut for 6 weeks with the other procedure plus i had to be back at work 2 weeks after surgery. I was told that I would be banded tightly for 2-4 weeks. The bands would either be loosened or removed completely after 4 weeks or all bands off at 6 weeks.

What really happened for me was that I was banded tightly for 5 weeks due to my stubborn jaw would never line up properly with the upper jaw. Basicallt the midlines were off (they are still off but much better). I was able to talk, just not well. I had to talk through my teeth. I have a job where I talk quite a bit and while it was a pain, its not the end of the world. I was more upset that I was stuck on a liquid diet for so long.

I wouldn't worry about this until you discuss things with the oral surgeon. The OS would have a better idea of how they would like your recovery to go.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

nomadic myth

#4 Post by nomadic myth »

Wow, this place is fast!

Yeah, I don't know the details of what will happen. I'm in Korea, and my doctors speak English, but not extremely well. Anyway, I trust them, as they are extremely heavily booked, and they are the professionals. Just sometimes I get stressed not knowing all the details, since I'm a control freak.

I can have five weeks official vacation, and use some sick time if I need extra time, just I can get good vacation overtime if I can work after only three weeks (which would really help pay for everything).

JennX

#5 Post by JennX »

Good luck, NM. I think you will find a way to work it out!

nomadic myth

#6 Post by nomadic myth »

JennX wrote:Good luck, NM. I think you will find a way to work it out!
Yeah, I'm sure.

I'll check in once I talk things through with my surgeon and know what he is going to do.

Despite the pain and the uncomfortable sleep arrangement, I think I could use a good five weeks of not talking and taking it easy on vacation.

Cheffy

#7 Post by Cheffy »

I had lower only surgery 6 days ago. I have internal screws & elastics.I took 3wks sick leave. I could talk immediately after surgery but tired quickly.

Emaciated

#8 Post by Emaciated »

In my case I could not talk or be understood AT ALL while I was banded shut which only lasted 1 week. Once the bands came off I could speak so people could understand me but as stated already, the splint made my clarity really difficult. In retrospect, I should've made a video or recorded an MP3 of myself speaking of various stages of the recovery process.* Once the splint came out I still spoke a little funny due to the numbness but it became much much better and easier to speak.

*That should be a project for any members about to undergo surgery if they want to do some community service to contribute to this forum. I bet that would be really useful to people.

sylvi

#9 Post by sylvi »

good idea, Karl. I just had surgery yesterday--BSSO with genio. Speaking is very difficult, esp. because the inner part of the splint prevents normal tongue movement, and my lower lip is very swollen and numb. The docs encourage speaking to reduce swelling, but I've gotta admit, I've been using text messaging a whole lot today. Only my best friend understands me over the phone(most of what I say). Better face to face, but still frustrating.
I'll try to make a movie with my digital camera