NHS eligible?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

themagician

NHS eligible?

#1 Post by themagician »

Hi everyone.

Just wondering how you know if you are eligible for ortho surgery on the nhs? My orthodontist said that I could benefit from surgery from a cosmetic point of view to bring my lower jaw forward, but the difference seems so slight that I dont know if id be eligible to have it on the nhs!

I cant close my two sets of teeth together at all, my top set jut forward and when I put my back teeth together I can stick my tongue between the two sets of teeth!Im hoping all of these things mean I could possibly be eligible!

Hope to hear back soon, thanks in advance.

Kerry

#2 Post by Kerry »

same as me and the NHS have accepted me, get your ortho to refer you to the hopsital you will have all treatment for free then.
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)

themagician

#3 Post by themagician »

Thanks for that, i will do that, that's good info to hear.

Ialready have braces on my upper and lower arches, would this make any difference as to whether I could have the surgery or not? Obviously my ortho will be able to tell me more but im just looking for some general info just now anyway.

Thanks!

Emerald

#4 Post by Emerald »

Having braces on your teeth makes no difference to jaw surgery.

I had surgery 4 months ago with my braces on
Emerald
I had self-ligating braces for 4 years & 8 months.

I'm now in Hawley retainers for top jaw (during day) and Essix retainers for bottom jaw (at night).

I had Jaw surgery on 14th July 2008

Please see blog for more details:

http://emeraldsdentaldiary.blogspot.com

Kerry

#5 Post by Kerry »

id definitely try get an appointment at the hospital only problem is you ma need to have the braces you have on taken off to get moulds and everything. my ortho works at the hospital so might be that you'l have to ditch your ortho for the one in the hosptial too. x
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)