May SARP Buddies?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sleclerc

May SARP Buddies?

#1 Post by Sleclerc »

Is anyone else having this done in May? Im set for this on the 28th and as it gets closer Im freaking. Well some of the posts calm me others make me :shock: :!: ANyhows Id love to have a buddy or some people who are facing this challenge next month. ANyone?

sarpe09

#2 Post by sarpe09 »

i just had it last week. what are you nervous about?

i MAY be an exception to the rule ... based on other posts. My swelling wasn't bad, I'm back at work and co-workers don't notice and i'm eating soft foods (not just a liquid diet). Pain is minimal after surgery - it's more the upper lip stitching that's annoying.

Also, the gap. It'll come fast and furious. Mine is hidden now because I can't smile wide enough to show it bc of the swelling, but it's there.

chicago29

#3 Post by chicago29 »

sarpe09: Congratulations on a successful procedure. Good for you for being back at work already. Do you know if you had a full LeFort I SARPE, or did you have the less invasive one where they just make a cut along the upper palate? In any regard, I'm glad to hear you're doing so well! It is amazing how different everybody is in healing...

Sleclerc: Try not and be nervous...If I can do this, I promise you can! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, but try and stay busy and not worry about the surgery. If you trust your doctors, you have nothing to worry about.

Sleclerc

#4 Post by Sleclerc »

Im not sure what Im specifically scared about, Im guess overall its the pain that may or may not be bad. And the expander. I have an appointment with my dentist tomorrow, I didnt know until reading this board that there are more then One sarp procedure. Ill have to remember to ask which mine will be. Im having this done on a Thursday, do you think Id be ok to return to work by Monday? I know Ill have Lisp issues and will prob be on a "light duty status" until my mouth as somewhat healed.

sarpe09

#5 Post by sarpe09 »

I don't know which kind I got actually. I know he cut me in 3 places ... more or less both cheek bones, and the center palate.

As for the pain, that's the least of your worries. I don't think I'm the only one that thinks that. I stayed overnight in the hospital - the morphine was great. The next day I went home and didn't even use my prescription for vicanine. I took the antibiotics they prescribed, the prescription mouthwash, and Ibuprofen. I was a little bruised around the nose and had swelling - but it's a little over a week later and its gone. I didn't have nose bleeds either which some people do I guess. You can't blow your nose - and sneezing has to be done out of your mouth (easy). I'm even back to working out.

The expander is a PAIN IN THE ASS. You do get used to it sort of- but saying certain vowels and eating isn't fun. There are just some words that I've given up on saying and replaced them with other words (i.e. i say television instead of TV - you'll see what I mean).

I've heard mixed reports on how long it has to stay in. My surgeon said 4 months - my ortho said more like 7-8. This bothers me as I'd like to get it out asap w/o jeopardizing the results.

Anyway, it's funny because I know have a million milestones on my calendar now. Made it through the first week, had my 2nd ortho appt, done with my first month, Memorial Day, 4th of July means I'm half way there, etc. Anything to make the time go by quicker.

Make sure to have a blender for malts. I drank protein shakes to keep weight on.

Questions?

Sleclerc

#6 Post by Sleclerc »

Thanks for your responses. The funny thing is im in Law Enforcement so this talking thing should be fun( fut thur thands thup) Also about a month later Ill be taking a speach class. Great timing, but what can ya do! Thanks again~ Stephanie
sarpe09 wrote:I don't know which kind I got actually. I know he cut me in 3 places ... more or less both cheek bones, and the center palate.

As for the pain, that's the least of your worries. I don't think I'm the only one that thinks that. I stayed overnight in the hospital - the morphine was great. The next day I went home and didn't even use my prescription for vicanine. I took the antibiotics they prescribed, the prescription mouthwash, and Ibuprofen. I was a little bruised around the nose and had swelling - but it's a little over a week later and its gone. I didn't have nose bleeds either which some people do I guess. You can't blow your nose - and sneezing has to be done out of your mouth (easy). I'm even back to working out.

The expander is a PAIN IN THE ASS. You do get used to it sort of- but saying certain vowels and eating isn't fun. There are just some words that I've given up on saying and replaced them with other words (i.e. i say television instead of TV - you'll see what I mean).

I've heard mixed reports on how long it has to stay in. My surgeon said 4 months - my ortho said more like 7-8. This bothers me as I'd like to get it out asap w/o jeopardizing the results.

Anyway, it's funny because I know have a million milestones on my calendar now. Made it through the first week, had my 2nd ortho appt, done with my first month, Memorial Day, 4th of July means I'm half way there, etc. Anything to make the time go by quicker.

Make sure to have a blender for malts. I drank protein shakes to keep weight on.

Questions?

AFLeadDog

#7 Post by AFLeadDog »

I am scheduled to get upper and lower surgery on the 27th of May. I have been fitted for my expanders and have an appointment with the oral surgeon on Monday the 11th to discuss the procesures... I will have my expanders put in on the 19th to give me time to adjust to them. I was told there are 3 different procedures and mine is the least invasive. I will post again on Monday!!!

Sleclerc

#8 Post by Sleclerc »

Cool, I go on the 14th to see the oral surgeon, Ill have to ask him my many questions. I will not get my expander until the 27th at 2:30, Im dont want time to get used to it :D Keep us updated. Oh are you staying overnight at the hospital?
AFLeadDog wrote:I am scheduled to get upper and lower surgery on the 27th of May. I have been fitted for my expanders and have an appointment with the oral surgeon on Monday the 11th to discuss the procesures... I will have my expanders put in on the 19th to give me time to adjust to them. I was told there are 3 different procedures and mine is the least invasive. I will post again on Monday!!!

AFLeadDog

#9 Post by AFLeadDog »

Lucky you!! I dont want to have the expanders in early...Yes I Will be staying overnight. I think 3 weeks or maybe 4 out of work then atleast 2 months light duty. Ortho says 5 month with expanders in...FUN! BTW is you last name LeClerc... if so thats kinda crazy.. thats my moms side. Ill post after my trip tomorrow.

Sleclerc

#10 Post by Sleclerc »

Yup leclerc~ Small world:-)
AFLeadDog wrote:Lucky you!! I dont want to have the expanders in early...Yes I Will be staying overnight. I think 3 weeks or maybe 4 out of work then atleast 2 months light duty. Ortho says 5 month with expanders in...FUN! BTW is you last name LeClerc... if so thats kinda crazy.. thats my moms side. Ill post after my trip tomorrow.

AFLeadDog

#11 Post by AFLeadDog »

So....My surgeon calls me this morning at 0800 and said we have an opening on the 19th and can get you in. Would you be willing to have surgery on 19 May. So now I am scrambling to get everything done in the next few days...whoaaaa talk about some stress. Now i have to travel tomorrow to go talk to the anesthesiologist tomorrow, on Tuesday morning i get my appliances and later on Tuesday I go under the knife....ouch I am afraid if what to expect. I have never had surgery and this is kina freaking me out. I initially went in to see if I could be a could candidate to braces.. So now i neead short notive dvice to help me preparee for this. Can anyone help!

AFLeadDog

#12 Post by AFLeadDog »

So i completed my intake appointment and as i drive 2 hrs south to be back with my family. My Sergeon called me and and asked if it were posibblie to move my date back to the 27th apparently the sergery on the 19 has turned into a all day even.( at this point i am thinking to my self...ae you kidding me am i going to tell the doctor who is breaking my face what to do... so ofcourse i am back to 27 Spr!!! I feel like a yo yo

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#13 Post by blindboarder2008 »

AFLeadDog wrote:So i completed my intake appointment and as i drive 2 hrs south to be back with my family. My Sergeon called me and and asked if it were posibblie to move my date back to the 27th apparently the sergery on the 19 has turned into a all day even.( at this point i am thinking to my self...ae you kidding me am i going to tell the doctor who is breaking my face what to do... so ofcourse i am back to 27 Spr!!! I feel like a yo yo
sorry to hear you feel like a yo yo. I know I'd be the same way if that happened to me. Look at it this way it gives you a bit more time to prepare yourself but on the other hand you have more time to be nervous so its a tricky one!!!!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

Sleclerc

#14 Post by Sleclerc »

Yikes that does stink :( I had my pre op appointment, and I was a nervous wreck. Looks like the Doc wants me off from work for a week and then followed by a week of light duty.
AFLeadDog wrote:So i completed my intake appointment and as i drive 2 hrs south to be back with my family. My Sergeon called me and and asked if it were posibblie to move my date back to the 27th apparently the sergery on the 19 has turned into a all day even.( at this point i am thinking to my self...ae you kidding me am i going to tell the doctor who is breaking my face what to do... so ofcourse i am back to 27 Spr!!! I feel like a yo yo

AFLeadDog

#15 Post by AFLeadDog »

Yea, I’m ok with it. i was actually kind of looking forward to the surgery on the 19th because they are putting my appliances in that day. So now i have to have them in for a week before surgery. My orho says it will be stuff to get used to them before the surgery anyways... ahh well. I have 3-4 weeks off after my surgery then 2 months light duty.. its gonna be tough since my whole job revolves around talking (AF Recruiting supervisor) should be fun!!