Exercising After Surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CSmoove

Exercising After Surgery

#1 Post by CSmoove »

Hi Guys,

Forgive me if this topic has been posted previously, I have lurked on this board from time to time but this is my first actual post. I am scheduled for surgery on both my upper and lower jaw next tuesday and was wondering if I can get any information on how long it took any of you to return to exercising? I am 19 and lift and run 5-6 days a week. To put it simply, exercise is part of my life! I understand that a break is a necessity, but I am hearing conflicting reports as to how long I should 'take it easy'. I have heard two weeks in some areas and 4 months in others. I expect heavy lifting to be a no-go for some time, but any concrete time frame that any of you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! -Chris

AFLeadDog

#2 Post by AFLeadDog »

I have done alot of research as well and it seems to be up to the recovering individual and how fast they heal and what they can tolerate. I can tell you that just 5 days post op that sloowly climbing stairs makes my jaw feel like its on a rollercoaster. It doesnt hurt and its not tireing its just....weird....

PJ

#3 Post by PJ »

It's definitely an individual thing, but I think if you feel good and start back slowly, that you should be able to do some light cardio after 2 weeks. I ran again after about 3 weeks, I think. I'm 6 weeks post op, and now back to doing my 3 mile outdoor runs, and doing other cardio at the gym. I think weights are ok too--as long as the weight doesn't strain you too much--you shouldn't be doing stuff that requires bending forward for at least 2 weeks, I think. Listen to your body!