Post surgery headaches?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Muffinmamma

Post surgery headaches?

#1 Post by Muffinmamma »

Had top and bottom jaw surgery 2 and a half weeks ago, obviously it has been a bit uncomfortable but the worst is the headaches. It's not constant but need paracetemal or anti inflammatories and resting head.

I don't think I'm stressed or dehydrated and wondered if anyone else has experienced this, my orthodentist was stumped. Particularly uncomfortable resting head in bath, previously my fave place!

AFLeadDog

#2 Post by AFLeadDog »

what kind of surgery did you have? I am 5 days post op and no head aches yet!!! Then then again i start expanding tomorrow..so we will see. I am expecting pressure.... i will let you know tomorrow :)

Muffinmamma

#3 Post by Muffinmamma »

I have to admit I don't know the name of my surgery! It was referred to as a bi-max osteotomy, top and bottom jaw broken and moved (down and forward respectively) basically!

I saw my chiropractor today, he was aghast that my orthodentist thought it was stress. He said the tmj area is linked to all the nerves around the head so it is not surprising I have headaches. Fortunately he can help with treatment (feel better from one session) but it is going to cost...

AF104

#4 Post by AF104 »

I had a LeFort I maxillary osteotomy(8mm advancement and 3mm impaction) and a Mandibular bilateral sagittal split osteotomy(8 mm advancement) on March 17 and I still get TMJ headaches. Sometimes I feel tingling and pain around the front of the ears or on the sides of the head(along the large temporalis muscles). Post-surgical pain is nothing to freak out about. After all the origin is pretty clear. The TMJ's, muscles and other soft tissue of the face take a long time to adapt so I wouldn't start to worry for at least 5-6 months.

Muffinmamma

#5 Post by Muffinmamma »

I saw the chiropractor 2 days ago.
The day I saw him and yesterday the headache was different, lurking constantly instead of intermittent but much less discomfort. Today it is hardly there! Well worth spending my holiday money on (sob sob). Back again tommorrow for next appointment then another next week.

JamieMei

3 weeks

#6 Post by JamieMei »

I am now 3 weeks post-op and I've started getting headaches as well. They come and go but they are pretty constant. Am going to ask surgeon about it this weekend.

Muffinmamma

#7 Post by Muffinmamma »

Well mine were better from chiro but then worse again, another session made it worse then maybe a little better?? Confused what to do. My dentist said that in addition to the nerve disruption the muscle tension will cause them, makes sense. She said they would probably be better in weeks rather than months.

Let me know what your surgeon says please , seeing mine tommorrow and will report then!

Muffinmamma

#8 Post by Muffinmamma »

So 2 more trips to chiro and no apparent improvement to headaches. They are almost constant low level but can be stabbing in temples or like pressure anywhere else.

Surgeon is not sure how the chiro would help. He said not to worry, it will get better. He said there are likely to be a number of reasons but mainly talked about muscles. He advised low level pain killers and heat pads.

Had attempted return to work testerday- light duties only- but lasted 2 hours! Headache awful and lasted all day ? flourescent lighting.. Signed off for further 2 weeks![/i]

AFLeadDog

#9 Post by AFLeadDog »

I just had my two week follow up with my OS and everything is going well, he did ask if i were getting any headaches and when i said no he kind of gave me a funny look and sid most people experience headaches. He said consider yourself lucky....i will after i am done widening!! So far 6 mm bottom and 5 mm on top. i get to stop the bottom on the 20th and the top on the 24th then hopefully they "lock em down"!!
Respectfully,

AFLeadDog