Just had my NHS first joint appointment

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bubsy08

Just had my NHS first joint appointment

#1 Post by bubsy08 »

I was told i am likely to be in braces for 18 months and in that time i will have two bottom teeth out and my wisdom teeth removed. Next I will most likely have top and bottom jaw surgery to correct my overbite. The op will take about 4 hours and i will have to stay in hospital for 3-4days then have 3 months off work. The surgeon has said to come back in 3 months and tell me if I am happy to go ahead with the treatment, I told him I am happy now but he said to go away and think about it and come back with a decision and some questions. I am going ahead with it for definate. What sort of questions should I be asking? I don't really have any, he has explained the procedure so do any of you have any ideas?

Audra

#2 Post by Audra »

3 months off work? What kind of job do you have?

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#3 Post by blindboarder2008 »

since your doc has already explained the surgery maybe asks about the risks, benefits of the surgery, whether your getting wired, banded or splinted after the surgery, will you be able to chew after, if not for how long? ask how many times hes done this type of surgery, how satisfied were the patients?

3 months off work????? that seems like quite a long time.
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

Kerry

#4 Post by Kerry »

do you mean three weeks off work lol

im having the same surgery on the 31st july had braces coming on 18 months now so on schedule !
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)

bubsy08

#5 Post by bubsy08 »

Just had my next appointment via a letter, 16 weeks away :shock: