Drinking out of a straw

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JamieMei

Drinking out of a straw

#1 Post by JamieMei »

Hey guys,

My oral surgeon said that I shouldn't drink out of a straw, but he did not mention for how long. I am 4 weeks post op, and I was wondering if it is safe to start drinking stuff out with a straw.

Thanks!

PJ

#2 Post by PJ »

Everybody's surgeon's seem to give different instrucions, so it's best you check with yours. I was allowed to drink from a straw almost immediately. I think the 2 main reasons that are given for them not wanting you to use one are--fear of inducing bleeding, and the possibility that the pressure you exert when you use the straw could cause some sort of shifting in your jaw. I think at 4 weeks you are well past the point of concern, but, again, you should probably check with your surgeon.

Audra

#3 Post by Audra »

I would not drink from a straw without first asking my OS if it is OK.

HokieTay

#4 Post by HokieTay »

Just had jaw surgery yesterday and surgeon said it's fine. I don't think it is physically possible for me yet though.

Twinjoy

#5 Post by Twinjoy »

I was told not to use a straw for the first 2 weeks. As was stated earlier it was because it could cause bleeding. I am sure at 4 weeks you are fine.

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#6 Post by blindboarder2008 »

the sheet that my os gave me says no drinking from a straw for 6 weeks but yes I would definetly ask your os before you try drinking out of a straw just to make sure.
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

teylix

#7 Post by teylix »

wow no straw for 6 weeks? i was drinking out of a straw soon as i woke up lol. i dont know if it's because nurses didnt know what to do or what, but i did fine. although after a day or two i was basically drinking right out of the cup.

i wouldnt try drinkin out of a straw for a week or so now i think about it. only because you dont want to remove any clots. however after that, there shouldnt be any issue..?
BSSO and Le Fort I surgery + nose straightening done on May 4th.
Current status: Waiting for braces to come off next week! (09/20)

AFLeadDog

#8 Post by AFLeadDog »

I was instructed that for 6 weeks no straw, no chewing, don't yawn and I can't even blow my nose.
Respectfully,

AFLeadDog

aas55

#9 Post by aas55 »

I was told not to drink with a straw post-op, and even when I tried I found it difficult with my mouth banded shut. But my mouth was opened up, using a straw is considerably easier, so I'd say I waited about 2.5 weeks to start using a straw.

Folk Ballad

#10 Post by Folk Ballad »

I was given the go ahead yesterday to start drinking out of a straw if I was so inclined (I'm 4 weeks post op), but from the sounds of it, I could have started drinking out of a straw ages ago if I'd wanted to.
(But I agree with everyone here - it's best to ask your surgeon first!)

archangel689

#11 Post by archangel689 »

hah, don't yawn. Thats impossible and it seems like I don't have the urge to yawn as wide anymore.

TinaAH

#12 Post by TinaAH »

Keep in mind that not everyone on this message board has had the same type of surgery. Instructions vary quite a bit depending on if you had upper or lower (or both) surgery. Your best bet is to talk directly to your doctor and get the best answer.

For me (upper jaw and nose) - I was told 4 weeks.

--Tina