Bite change question

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AFLeadDog

Bite change question

#1 Post by AFLeadDog »

Hello all! Had my surgeries on 27 May, SARPE and MSDO. Ever since I expanded, my molars on the left side no longer touch (I would guess 2mm seperation). Before surgery all my molars touched now they touch on just the right side. It seems like my upper jaw on the right side is lower now. When I look at my two front teeth it is very apparent that my tooth on the right is lower than on the other side of the gap. It does not look like bad when you look at my profile...just when you look in my mouth...I knew my bite would change but is that much of a change "normal"?
also...How long does it take for a 12mm gap to start closing without braces?!
Respectfully,

AFLeadDog

AF104

#2 Post by AF104 »

I wouldn't worry about the teeth yet. Braces should do wonders for them. As for the gap question it should have already started closing if you're fully expanded and should become very small by September or October.

crazybeautiful

#3 Post by crazybeautiful »

Are you having additional surgeries later on to correct an underbite or overbite? If so then your jaw alignments tend to get worse as your teeth are straightened, rather than better. This is because your teeth are being moved to their optimum position for a normal jaw, but currently our jaws are still 'wrong'.

If this is the only surgical procedure you're having then your braces will sort it out now that your jaws are right
~SARME, Nov 2007. 10mm expansion

My blog: http://crazybeautifulsurgery.blogspot.com/

AFLeadDog

#4 Post by AFLeadDog »

Thanks AF104!! I think its starting to close, I used to be able to put my pinkey at the widest point thru the gap up to my first knuckle. I can't do that anymore without really applying some pressure. It just seems to be moving so slow :? Hopefully it will speed up!!
Respectfully,

AFLeadDog

AF104

#5 Post by AF104 »

It's a slow process but well worth it. I wouldn't put any pressure on the teeth or jaws or worry about it. Soon enough it will be over!

AFLeadDog

#6 Post by AFLeadDog »

Crazy, my ortho said that if I were to have surgery now then he thinks 2-4mm forward for my lower jaw. That was his guess, but he said he couldnt be sure until braces had moved my teeth. Thanks for the info
Respectfully,

AFLeadDog

chicago29

#7 Post by chicago29 »

AFLeadDog...My surgery buddy!!! :lol:

What you are experiencing is 100% totally normal. In fact, if you weren't experiencing this, I'd be concerned.

Your bite is going to be all over the place until after your second surgery. I was like you...while my teeth and overall bite were a disaster, all of my back teeth met before I did any of this. After the SARPE/MSDO surgery and I healed up, I noticed my bite was different almost every day.

Now that I am braced, it still changes all the time. This is a sign of progress. While I know it "feels weird" and can make eating a bit challenging at times, don't worry about it for a second. Your ortho will get things in order for surgery #2, and after that you should have a stable and solid bite.

Keep me posted on your progress...It is nice to have somebody else on here that is having the exact same course of treatment.

-Chicago29

chicago29

#8 Post by chicago29 »

By the way, I hate to break the news to you, but if your gap hasn't started closing yet it probably won't close much on its own. My OS said in his experience this either happens right away, or it doesn't happen at all. There is no rhyme or reason why it happens for some and not others...

I was lucky...Mine started closing immediately after I stopped turning the expander. In fact, the bottom part of my front teeth touched before the braces were put on.

I have been in braces for 2 months now and I've made no progress closing the rest of the tiny "gap". I'm actually worried that it won't close any more and I'm going to have a massive "black triangle". If this is the case, I'll have to look at veneers or crowns to fix that at some point.

I am planning to ask my ortho at my next adjustment what his thoughts are on getting the gap completely closed. I am sure it is part of his plan and that it just isn't a focus right now.

Good Luck!

AFLeadDog

#9 Post by AFLeadDog »

Great!!! Thanks for the news Chicago!! :roll:
That prolly means mine arnt moving. I measure about 8mm on bottom and 12mm on top and thats jusst about the same as when i stopped expanding 20 Jun and 24 Jun. Ohh well... in a few months it will all be memories 8)

Keep me updated Chicago, I hop that gap closes the rest of the way ...fingers crossed...

Later
Respectfully,

AFLeadDog

chicago29

#10 Post by chicago29 »

AFLeadDog...you have an 8 mm gap on the bottom? Do you know where your split was done? Was it done laterally in a "stepped cut", or was it a straight line down the middle?

I had perhaps a 1 to 2mm gap at the most on the bottom during expansion, and that closed in a matter of days. I was a bit worried about this, and my OS never came out and said he was concerned but he was a bit surprised I never had a bottom gap. I guess when you had the crowding I did, the teeth move so quickly when you get new space. It seems it all worked out as I definitely have gained width on the bottom jaw...I'm crossing my fingers it all works out in the end.

Hang in there...It sounds like things are going well for you!

AFLeadDog

#11 Post by AFLeadDog »

Chicago: It was done in a stepped cut off to the left between the 2nd and 3rd tooth from midline. My ortho calls my crowding a drawn curtain effect. Apparently my teeth are stubborn because none of my teeth have moved!!
Respectfully,

AFLeadDog

monalisasimpson

#12 Post by monalisasimpson »

hey. has anyone had 6month braces? I'm trying to get some good feedback from some one who has had them before. I heard it doesn't change your bite...

yiannis1985

teeth angle?

#13 Post by yiannis1985 »

Hey guys, i had my SARPE three weeks before and an expander placed under my roof which i `ve started turning 10 days ago!
I have already a 5.50 gap between my front teeth and seems tha my jaw expands equally on both sides, but i have noticed that my four front teeth are not in a vertical position anymore (my front teeth pointing a bit forward ).
It looks like there is an angle and the upper maxilla doesn`t meet the lower on the front part of my mouth!
Does anybody know if that`s normal or do i have to start to worry about?
Thanks!

victorio17

#14 Post by victorio17 »

i'm just wondering if any of you have noticed any facial changes after having msdo or sarpe?

AFLeadDog

#15 Post by AFLeadDog »

Hi Yainnis,

Miised your post earlier this month just curious if you followed up with your ortho about your front teeth...

Victorio:to answer your question on facial changes. I feel like my face is different but my wife says that if I dont talk or show my teeth when I smile she would never know I had sergury. I went to a wedding this past weekend and noone noticed that my mouth is now around 12mm wider... Hope that helps
Respectfully,

AFLeadDog