New Here - Modified Condylotomy

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AZWILDCATS

New Here - Modified Condylotomy

#1 Post by AZWILDCATS »

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. You can call me CATS.

I had a modified condylotomy on July 16th and will be wired shut for 8 weeks. I broke my jaw in January. Fractured the condyle and fragmented the disk on the right side while eating a very tough piece of pork tenderloin (long story - but was trying to be polite while eating my sister-in-law's overcooked food). We have tried everything we could before doing the surgery from splinting to Botox injections.

Well, anyway - just wanted to say HI! :D

CATS

Lacrosse Mom

#2 Post by Lacrosse Mom »

Hi CATS,

Wow!! Sounds incredibly painful. My jaw surgery is elective. I had a Lefort 1 3 piece. My jaw was very narrow and had an overjet.

I had my surgery on the 1st. It has been an experience. I am really trying to get used to the liquid diet. I have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and somedays I just can't get enough to eat. I have been living off carnation breakfast drinks!! I got your message about the recipes. Thanks!!

How do you eat? syringe? or zip and squeeze bags?

AZWILDCATS

#3 Post by AZWILDCATS »

I hear ya... I'm lactose intolerant, so finding lactose free meal replacement shakes has been difficult.

I'm actually lucky, I guess... I had a molar pulled and am suppose to be getting a bridge, but told my dentist I wanted to wait until this whole ordeal is over. Luckily enough, a straw fits nicely in the gap. :D

AZWILDCATS

#4 Post by AZWILDCATS »

Thought I would post a picture...

Anyone know what happens AFTER I get the screws out and my jaw isn't wired shut? Do I have to do physical therapy? How long before I will be able to eat normally?