What was your biggest fear before surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

irishlady1980

What was your biggest fear before surgery?

#1 Post by irishlady1980 »

I was again just wondering peoples experiences. Im most afraid of the fact it wont work!!! that i will come away looking the same god forbid!!!
oh and how do i post a picture on here lol i have seen some pictures on here and eeek my gummy smile and overbite seem loads worse sob sob so just wanted to show you all lol[/url]

AF104

#2 Post by AF104 »

You're NOT going to look the same. Trust in your Surgeon. If you can't then you should find a different one.

perfectsmile

#3 Post by perfectsmile »

My worst fear was over correction and I ended up with an over corrected chin.

changes09

#4 Post by changes09 »

my biggest fear is going under and waking up with my mouth wired shut.

Lacrosse Mom

#5 Post by Lacrosse Mom »

My biggest fear was waking up in extreme PAIN!!

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#6 Post by blindboarder2008 »

my biggest fear is waking up and vomiting while being banded shut! thank god for anti nausea meds!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

AF104

#7 Post by AF104 »

I did vomit while banded shut. I told the nurse I was nauseous. She tried to give me a drug called phenergan. About a week before my operation I read a Supreme Court case involving phenergan and about how it can cause death to the arm if injected via IV. Of course I refused that and by the time she got something else I vomited.

irishlady1980

#8 Post by irishlady1980 »

AF104 wrote:You're NOT going to look the same. Trust in your Surgeon. If you can't then you should find a different one.

Thanks i do trust them its just i put so much emotional effort into getting braces when i was about 17 and the orthodontist never even mentioned surgery and i paid him loads only to be told years later that i would never get the results i wanted without surgery i feel a little disbelieving that i will finally get the result that will be different

AF104

#9 Post by AF104 »

I understand but it sounds like you're on the right path now.

OzzysMom

#10 Post by OzzysMom »

When I was preparing for my surgery, someone here told me that the more extreme your case is, the more dramatic the results will be. I had an extreme case and since surgery, I do look like a different person.
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

sarpevictim

#11 Post by sarpevictim »

irishlady1980 wrote:
AF104 wrote:You're NOT going to look the same. Trust in your Surgeon. If you can't then you should find a different one.

Thanks i do trust them its just i put so much emotional effort into getting braces when i was about 17 and the orthodontist never even mentioned surgery and i paid him loads only to be told years later that i would never get the results i wanted without surgery i feel a little disbelieving that i will finally get the result that will be different
All I can tell you is that surgery does things that braces could never do. Not only that, but it's an immediate "before" and "after" process, that doesn't take years. I had a SARPE surgery for a 7 mm expansion of my palate. 7mm isn't even a cm, but the difference it made is ridiculous, I never would have imagined.

I wish you all the luck and hope everything turns out the way that you want it.

By the way, my biggest fear is waking up and finding out that I look horrible and having to get another surgery to fix it. I hate surgeries, I'd like to avoid them as much as possible. :P

irishlady1980

#12 Post by irishlady1980 »

Well i was told by ortho that when i smile i show at least 10 cms or mm im hopeless at which lol sorry of gum and that this will be reduced to practically half so im hoping this is huge lol thanks for everyones support x

PJ

#13 Post by PJ »

My biggest fear was being wired shut and needing to vomit, which is why I sought out a surgeon who did not wire, or even go with the tight bands. All of my fears were unfounded--my experience was really good.

Sammi

#14 Post by Sammi »

My biggest fear is wanting to throw up whilst my jaw is banded, but I just hate being sick anyway so that's nothing new.

I shouldn't really worry though, I gather I will have anti nausea drugs anyway :) I'm more excited about being able to eat properly once it is all done with and that matters more than a few concerns to me.

PJ

#15 Post by PJ »

It is important, I think, if you have any concerns about vomiting, or even if you don't, to talk to the anesthesiologist about getting the nausea patch. I don't know that they will give it to you automatically--may depend on where you have your surgery done.