Absolutely Giddy

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iBorg

Absolutely Giddy

#1 Post by iBorg »

I had surgery on June 1. I still have a lot of residual swelling in the lower half of my face. I still feel like I'm wearing a fake face on top of my old one along with fake teeth. Still I'm giddy.

One of the big things in my surgery (advancement of both jaws 8.5 mm) was increasing my airway from 35 mm (considered medically at risk) to over 85 mm. I went backpack camping this weekend. I was able to carry forty pounds a couple of miles and never gasped for air. We went several miles with backpacks and the only thing that hurt was my legs. Guess a summer of inactivity takes its toll.

While I long for my swelling to go down (even went back to sleeping in my recliner), for me the surgery has been well worth it.

I'll try to post pictures soon.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Tribal

#2 Post by Tribal »

That's great news! Glad the surgery was such a success!

For me, fixing my bite was the main issue. THe first things that I noticed in the hospital was that my teeth finally touch on both sides at the same time (for the first time ever!). Now I just need the swelling to go down and we'll be all good! :)

Marisama

#3 Post by Marisama »

Mike,

If I don't remember incorrectly, you had surgery for asymmetry right? If so, I would be very interested to see your results and ask some questions.

Thanks,
Ryan

Lacrosse Mom

#4 Post by Lacrosse Mom »

My surgery was July 1, 2009 and I'm still swollent too! That's great to hear about your hiking adventure. My swelling is in my cheeks! I look like a little chipmunk. :-)
I am so excited about my bite. My teeth are actually touching on both sides too.
My OS told me if I were in my 20's and not my 40's the swelling would be a lot less. I guess we'll just have to be patient. :lol:

Take care and happy healing.

2bpositive

#5 Post by 2bpositive »

Good to hear all is going well and how happy you are with that increased airway it has to be such a big improvement.

Hope that swelling goes down soon. Looking forward to vewing your photos.

2bpositive

#6 Post by 2bpositive »

You might already be using these two products but will mention it anyway.
Arnicare Gel w\ Arnica montana seems to be very good for the stiffness, bruising, and swelling, of my face I had ordered this online and I'm also taking Mega Bromelain capsules.

iBorg

#7 Post by iBorg »

2bpositive I haven't tried the gel. I did real well taking the Bromelain the first month. I'll have to get back to taking it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Lacrosse Mom I'm amazed about the hiking. I'm 50 so healing will take longer. One plus is I feel at least ten years younger and I think I look it.

RYANvaughn I need to take photos. I thought I would during the healing. I just didn't feel up to it.

Tribal My molars now touch. I still don't think I eat right. It seems like something is different (go figure) and I haven't adapted to it.

Thanks for the comments folks.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

jul

absolutely giddy

#8 Post by jul »

I am so glad to read your success. I am older than you and I too have an at risk airway, and cannot wait for surgery - only 3 more weeks. I am sure it will be months recovering but I am looking forward to having more energy and feeling better. I am so happy for you and hope my results will be as good as yours.

iBorg

#9 Post by iBorg »

jul:

I have to say I first considered surgery for my teeth. I never connected, nor did my other doctors, that my breathing issues were related to my airway and not asthma.

Your recovery starts today. Get in as best of shape as possible. Exercise and get an attitude of attacking recovery and rather than enduring recovery. Plan ahead with other medications. If you can get liquid equivalents prior to your surgery. Crushing pills is a pain and timed released meds can not be crushed.

Best of luck to you!

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009