Home from surgery!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braced4secondtime

Home from surgery!

#1 Post by braced4secondtime »

Well I got back home yesterday from having surgery on Wednesday. I'm swollen, no bruising yet but I'm sure its to come still. I'm on day 3 since surgery. Finding it very difficult to sleep at night from nose congestion. The area under my nose, the underside of my nose and upper lip are all numb and tingly. My surgeon said he did a straight across cup to move my upper jaw foward I think it was about 4mm and up about 1 mm. My lower jaw fit into place nicely. I have 3 elastics in place 1 in center and 1 on each side. I'm still drinking liquids only. My fave so far is 1 c homo milk warmed, 2 tbsp chocolate syrup and 1 tbsp smooth peanut butter all blended in the magic bullet. It's definitely keeping the edge off not being able to enjoy regular food right now. I have tons of meds to take for the next week, rinses, syrups, pain killers, antibiotics, nasal sprays etc. Feel like a pharmacy in my kitchen right now along with all the plastic syringes and smoothy makings ha ha trying to keep spirits up and of course I'm eager for the healing process to continue and to even speed up but it will take the time it takes. Reading this board will help pass the time. I'll try to post a couple pics later on, but of course they're deceiving since I'm still so swollen. But if nothing else, they're funny to see lol

Jvivek

#2 Post by Jvivek »

Good to hear, breathing helped after nasonex. I can't wait to get my splint off also, I had the surgery on Tuesday. Miss the food. I am only taking antibiotics and mouthwash. Honestly even 3 hours after the surgery I didn't like the morphine, It made me woozy, nauseas. I was off my pain meds the second day. I say surgery is the easy part, the recovery is tough.

Lacrosse Mom

#3 Post by Lacrosse Mom »

Glad to hear everything went well. It sounds like you had upper and lower jaw surgery.

I had a Lefort 1 (upper) on July 1st. Things are moving along pretty well. I can relate to the stuffy nose! I thought I was going to lose my mind! The saline just wasn't cutting it. I had my sister in law call my surgeon and he gave me permission to use Afrin! WHAT A RELIEF!! It cleared my nostrils and I could breathe. I was only allowed to use it for a week. The only othe really frustrating complication was sleep. I used about 5 pillows to prop my head. I was a few weeks out of surgery and still had a hard time sleeping. I would fall asleep for 1 hour, wake up or fall asleep around 3 am and wake up at 6 am. Be careful to not sleep on your side. You might wake up with one side of your face really swollen.

Just remember, take good care of yourself. Drink lotsa water, etc. Like the other person said, the surgery is easy, the recovery isn't hard just a few inconveniences.

I am still a little swollen on my upper cheeks, but the swelling does go down. I'm older so it has taken a while.

Good luck on your journey. Check this site whenever you encounter a problem or question. It really saved me!

2bpositive

#4 Post by 2bpositive »

Glad to hear everything went well. You made it to the other side! It feels great to know it's behind me now.

The magic bullet is the best I was using it even before my surgery. One of my favorite things to make after surgery was: Orange sherbet ice cream, 1 banana, a scoop of smooth peanut butter, add a little mango juice .
Braces: Aug. 1, 2008
Surgery: July 30, 2009
Lefort I
Mandibular Osteotomy
Sliding Genio
Debraced: Feb. 23, 2010

Tribal

#5 Post by Tribal »

If you're having a hard time breathing through your nose (and you don't have anything to take for it) then try breathing through your mouth. Not sure if it's possible with a splint or not. but banded completely shut after surgery I was still able to breath through my mouth. Well, I didn;t have much choice since they had to pack my nose with gauze for the first 24 hours (stupid nose bleed....)

braced4secondtime

#6 Post by braced4secondtime »

Thanks for replying guys. I don't have my splint in anymore, just the 3 elastics and it was just upper jaw surgery not lower. I had a reall sever underbite created from teeth being extracted and spaces closing up over the last year. My upper jaw is small to begin with. Right now I look a lot like Cindy Loo Who lol Trying to upload some pics, I noticed this evening that bruising is starting to set in around my jaw, looking a little yellowish already. My nasal passages are feels SO tight and achey. Will be nice to get off a few of these meds in a few more days.

chicago29

#7 Post by chicago29 »

braced4secondtime,

Congrats on making it to the other side! It sounds like things are going relatively well. I wish you the best during your recovery!

Take Care
Chicago29

Esoteric

#8 Post by Esoteric »

Congrats! Hope your recovery goes quickly. I'm up in a week! :shock:
----Eric
SARPE survivor 9-3-08
Braced 10-15-08
Evil expander removed 3-21-09
Surgery Survivor Sept 09
Braces off July 13, 10