SARPE - Teeth Pain

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KeepSmiling

SARPE - Teeth Pain

#1 Post by KeepSmiling »

Hello everyone! I've been reading this post almost non-stop since I have found out I need SARPE and Orthognathic Surgery. What a blast this should be...

I thought I was pretty well prepared after reading so many of your posts, and needless to say I think I came out better than I thought. Thank you all for writing all your insightful experiences.

About a week ago I went under for SARPE, and I had swelling on my cheeks, bleeding from my nose and all the other fun stuff.

Since then, my swelling has gone significantly down, and pain has subsided for the most part. The only thing that bothers me is my top teeth. I feel the nerve ending attached to each teeth act up from time to time, and even more so when I try chew on something. Basically my teeth feel real sensitive. I was told not eat anything chewy and for the most part stick to a liquid diet. I know I'm getting way ahead of myself by trying to chew just the tiniest pieces of bread or anything in general but I feel my teeth acting up right away. I'm just paranoid in thinking I will have this feeling forever. Have any of you who have done the SARPE procedure felt this way? How long did it last?

Thanks in advanced for your response!

avy

#2 Post by avy »

You say you had SARPE a week ago? If so then you are expecting way too much so early on! I wouldnt expect you to be able to chew or bite properly with your front teeth until they have stabalised well after the expansion has finished. Your teeth are going to be moved around alot and during this time your teeth will feel weird - kind of loose and sensitive. I had my surgery almost 8 months ago now and only recently could I really bite into something. I have to say its still not 100% normal, but it is certainly alot better than it was 6 months ago. Dont worry about the weird feeling in your front teeth just yet. What you are feeling is completely normal, its all part of the fun :D

chicago29

#3 Post by chicago29 »

I'm 13 months from SARPE and I agree with what avy said. I can bite using the front teeth, but only into things that are soft or relatively soft. I can't imagine biting into fruit or something hard, and to be honest I may never be able to. It can take years for things to get back to normal, as things won't fully "stabilize" until you're done with any orthodontic treatment.

I promise you it will get better, but I would say wait 4 to 6 months before even dreaming of biting into anything with your front teeth. And, I wouldn't worry about any "permanent feelings" until at least the same 4 to 6 month timeframe.

Good Luck!
Chicago29