I want to get info for getting surgery in UK or Ireland !

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sue

I want to get info for getting surgery in UK or Ireland !

#1 Post by sue »

Please help me. I cant afford $20,000- $30,000 for u/l jaw surgery in the US. Please, can anyone advise me how I can go about getting a good MD surgeon in the UK or Ireland. I am at the end of braces after 2 1/2 years. My insurance company said its not "medically necessary" but it so is. I have surgical wires and hooks on for 4 months now. Please help me. Regards, Sue

sauerkraut

#2 Post by sauerkraut »

Hi sue, I assume you're hoping for free treatment on the NHS? I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but it doesn't work like that. Even for UK residents, NHS treatment is only "free" at point of use. All employees contribute to the costs by means of deductions from their salary.

And adults only get orthodontic treatment on the NHS if there is clinical need, for which there are strict criteria. You might even find the NHS rules for determining clinical need are very similar to the rules used by US insurance companies. So even if you could overcome all the residence and travel difficulties you might still find yourself having to jump through the same hoops to prove the surgery is necessary.

I live in Germany now which has a slightly different system, but my ortho and surgeon also had to put in a treatment plan for approval and, again, they had to demonstrate clinical need before my health insurance agreed to cover it.

It sounds like your ortho thought you needed surgery, since you're all set up for it. Can't he and/or your surgeon help you appeal against your insurance company' s decision?
SARPE: Sept 2007
Braced: May 2008
BSSO: Nov 2010
Debraced: March 2011

sue

#3 Post by sue »

Hi,
Thank you for telling me this. I was really under the wrong impression. Its just that I hate to live like this. My insurance company turned me down. When I was in London a few years ago (when I had $$, ha) people were talking to me about the "free" health care. I was even actually thinking about Germany since my friend loves it there. My teeth are perfect now for surgery. I am sad but thank you for telling me. You are kind....Sue

Hi sue, I assume you're hoping for free treatment on the NHS? I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but it doesn't work like that. Even for UK residents, NHS treatment is only "free" at point of use. All employees contribute to the costs by means of deductions from their salary.

And adults only get orthodontic treatment on the NHS if there is clinical need, for which there are strict criteria. You might even find the NHS rules for determining clinical need are very similar to the rules used by US insurance companies. So even if you could overcome all the residence and travel difficulties you might still find yourself having to jump through the same hoops to prove the surgery is necessary.

I live in Germany now which has a slightly different system, but my ortho and surgeon also had to put in a treatment plan for approval and, again, they had to demonstrate clinical need before my health insurance agreed to cover it.

It sounds like your ortho thought you needed surgery, since you're all set up for it. Can't he and/or your surgeon help you appeal against your insurance company' s decision?[/quote]

crazybeautiful

#4 Post by crazybeautiful »

Wel the NHS is free in that it is based on public funding, so you're paying for it through tax, but when it comes to your personal use of the system you don't need to fork out thousands of pounds at a given time (enabling equality of treatment for everyone). But either way it doesn't work non-residents of the UK.

Perhaps private care in the UK might be cheaper than the US, but I honestly don't know (but would imagine not). That would be something to look into, though.

[The Republic of] Ireland is the same
~SARME, Nov 2007. 10mm expansion

My blog: http://crazybeautifulsurgery.blogspot.com/

sauerkraut

#5 Post by sauerkraut »

Yes, looking at my post again I realise that I didn't phrase it very well. I was trying to counteract the viewpoint that UK patients don't pay anything for their treatment at all. Which they don't, directly, it's true. But it's what a chunk of their tax (and NI contributions?) is used for. You put it much more clearly, CB!

It's just a bit of a bugbear for me because of the times I've heard elderly relatives of mine saying they don't like to trouble the doctor, almost as if they're accepting charity, when in fact they've paid in to the system all their lives!

Anyway, sue, I'm sure I've read on this board about people in the US who have successfully challenged their insurance company's initial decision so maybe that's the way to go??
SARPE: Sept 2007
Braced: May 2008
BSSO: Nov 2010
Debraced: March 2011

sue

Surgery in UK

#6 Post by sue »

I want to thank everyone who replied to me when I told you I was denied jaw surgery under my insurance plan. I never meant to say I wanted "Free" surgery in the UK or Ireland. I am so very sad after 2 1/2 years in braces and being lied to. My teeth do not meet anymore as per braces they are all straight. I now have a open bite and am swallowing food almost whole since I can't chew properly. I lay awake most of the night. If I do fall asleep I wake up with a horrible headache from my jaw pressing on nerves I am told. I have developed a anxiety related quick heatbeat and a Dr. told me to start taking Lexapro and ativan because I am now anxious and sad. Well, I dont like the thought of being on pills. My braces are on with surgical wires and I dont know what to do. My family always said I looked fine because they love me. They cant help me. All I ever wanted was to save my teeth and not snore or have sleep apnea.

Audra

#7 Post by Audra »

Sue,

Here are the choices that I can come up with for you.

1) Ask your orthodontist and surgeon to send appeal letters to your insurance company showing how your case is medically necessary. I have read a variety of stories on this site of people who have done the same thing. Maybe put up another post called "How to appeal to insurance when claim has been rejected" and you will get answers from people who have gone through the same thing.

2) If that does not work and your claim continues to be denies, then you will probably have to have your orthodontic work re-done to give you a compromised solution - this is the way your teeth would have been moved had you not chosen to go the surgical route.

3) Look into travel tourism, which a few people have done here, but it doesn't look like you would be able to afford that either.

sue

#8 Post by sue »

Audra,

Thank you for taking the time to answer me. I do understand your solutions for me. I will now try to gather more strength to carry on and make the right choice. You have been very helpful.

Regards,
Sue

Audra

#9 Post by Audra »

I just feel so bad for you. This is already a stressful thing to go through without having to worry about whether insurance will cover you. I really hope things work out for you.