Just starting out

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HelenUK

#16 Post by HelenUK »

So I survived the spacers, they were removed yetserday and I had 6 molar bands cemented on. So far they are ok, but i can feel that they may create sore spots on my cheeks.

My next appointment is on 25h March (2weeks time) for my braces to be put on! It feels like such a long time since I first asked about straightening my teeth (its nearly 10months now) but now that I actually have a date for bracing, and its only 2 weeks away, I am quite nervous about it!

Will keep you posted on how that goes!

HelenUK

#17 Post by HelenUK »

Only 3 days to go til i get my braces on! i even figured out how to make a ticker to count down to the occasion!

timetosmile

#18 Post by timetosmile »

Hi Helen...

Not long before you joins us braceface! :o

Get some icecream in, oh and I have started to love, mashed potato with cheese and mustard! (I'm not pregnant by the way) x
Better late than never !

boatsink

#19 Post by boatsink »

3 more days! Enjoy all the foods you're advised to limit or avoid.
Soon you'll be part of the braceface club. :lol:

HelenUK

#20 Post by HelenUK »

so theyre on! so far no problem, and the procedure was fine.

First the orthodontist painted my teeth with something, then sprayed water everywhere while the assistant sucked it up with a hoover. I found that really funny and it tickled a bit, but with the cheek guards and all the things in my mouth, couldnt laugh! next, the brackets were placed one by one, and the assistant 'cured' them with a little light gun thing. I had a suction tube in my mouth while the bottom brackets were done, but not for the top. I have self-ligating brackets (so no fun coloured ligs for me!) on all my teeth except molars, which have bands. Next, the orthodontist put the wires in and attached them to the brackets, and that was it! All in all, it took about half an hour today.

The orthodontist said i have special, expensive brackets, and to be careful with them haha! So far theyve been fine, my teeth are a bit tender when i push on them with my tongue, but I ate soup and bread without much problem. I cleaned my teeth after with the little brushes they gave me, i can see thet taking a lot of time each time i eat. I'm going out tonight for tea at my local pub - hope thats not gonna turn out to be a bad idea!

My next appointment is for more spacers and then a week later for my last 2 molars banded. I'm a bit concerned about this as its my lower wisdom teeth, and only the left one is fully through the gum! Lets see if i can grow the right one in 10 weeks?!

Thanks for reading, Helen xx

Ps - time to update my ticker as it doesnt make sense now!