How long?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Schnapple

How long?

#1 Post by Schnapple »

Firstly, I am based in the UK and under the NHS system.
I have an open bite and slight under bite which is not as worse as the open bite/facial assymetry/jaw ache and pain.
I have had my braces in for 18 months. It's my 2nd time in braces.
I will soon be referred to a surgeon as my orthodontist has done all that he can do which is to align the teeth.

Out of interest, I am just wondering because this is not purely for aesthetic reasons, but functional...how long do you think I would have to wait to be put forward for surgery? My upper jaw has not grown favourable and very off centre towards the left. Therefore, the centre of my teeth are approx. a whole tooth misaligned. My right jaw is longer than the left too.

My teeth are aligned. I do not know what the next steps are, but I presume x-rays will be taken etc. However, I am just wondering about how soon I would be schedule for surgery due to functional reasons?

Thanks all

crazybeautiful

#2 Post by crazybeautiful »

So long as they have all the necessary records, and your surgeon/ortho are happy that you're due for surgery, it's all a matter of when your particular hospital/surgeon are free. For instance I met my surgeon last November when my ortho decided I was surgery-ready, and he just rang the hospital to check for availability, and that was it; my surgery was the scheduled for 12th January.

It could be sooner or later depending on whatever other surgical responsibilities your surgeon has, but at this point the waiting list isn't dictated by your case since you're already mid-treatment (ie, it's not like waiting to get braced), your surgery is simply scheduled to the earliest time available.
~SARME, Nov 2007. 10mm expansion

My blog: http://crazybeautifulsurgery.blogspot.com/

Schnapple

#3 Post by Schnapple »

crazybeautiful wrote:So long as they have all the necessary records, and your surgeon/ortho are happy that you're due for surgery, it's all a matter of when your particular hospital/surgeon are free. For instance I met my surgeon last November when my ortho decided I was surgery-ready, and he just rang the hospital to check for availability, and that was it; my surgery was the scheduled for 12th January.

It could be sooner or later depending on whatever other surgical responsibilities your surgeon has, but at this point the waiting list isn't dictated by your case since you're already mid-treatment (ie, it's not like waiting to get braced), your surgery is simply scheduled to the earliest time available.
Thanks for replying. This is very helpful. Can I ask whether you got any other surgeons opinions, or just went for the 1st opportunity? That is very quick I must say, November to January. Did they ever reschedule or delay the surgery date? I hope you have recovered well from January.

Much Appreciated

crazybeautiful

#4 Post by crazybeautiful »

Once I got my date they said it might get cancelled if my surgeon has a higher-priority case to deal with (in this case people with oral cancer). In the end my initial surgery-date went ahead and wasn't postponed.

If you ortho has said to you you're surgery ready then first off you'll get your molds, etc taken. But from the time you meet your surgeon, it should just be about getting a date, because everything else should be taken care of.

I met my surgeon before I'd even begun my treatment back in 2007 just so he could come and have a good stare at me and see what was what. However to begin my treatment I needed another surgery called SARME, and I had a different surgeon do that. This surgeon I think would have done my second surgery too, had she not been on maternity leave this year. So then for the main surgery I went back to my 'original' surgeon (in the sense that I saw him first).
I didn't get a choice of surgeon, those two simply work within my area. However 1) because of this consistency, they work well with the orthodontic team 2) both surgeons I saw were good. My surgeon this time around in fact was fantastic. Because of the great job he did, I didn't need to wear a splint or bands after surgery, so I wasn't on a liquid diet.

Of course it's good to be able to 'shop around', but within the NHS system, I think it works well despite you not always being able to choose your surgeon, because your team work with eachother and know eachother well, and aren't just mediating through the patient. I always get the sense of it being a nice close-knit community of professionals :)

I've recovered very well thanks. The time since January has flown by, it's amazing. Next month I am scheduled to get my braces off, and overall the recovery has gone well. I still have some numbness, and can't open my mouth wide enough to properly bite into a nice big sandwich but otherwise, it's all good :)

Hope your surgery goes as well, and hope you do get a surgery date soon :D
~SARME, Nov 2007. 10mm expansion

My blog: http://crazybeautifulsurgery.blogspot.com/

Leon

#5 Post by Leon »

Hey there, I'm also based in the UK. My treatment was to correct an overbite -> my lower jaw was lengthened by 8mm.

My brace treatment was done privately, and took a little over 3 years. In December, my ortho decided that I was ready for surgery. 1 week later I received a letter confirming my surgery date for March 30th. The surgery was done on the NHS.

It could differ depending on the surgeon and hospital, but my experience was pretty quick.