Weight Loss with Double Jaw Surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kimblebee

Weight Loss with Double Jaw Surgery?

#1 Post by kimblebee »

Hi everyone!

I am set to have upper and lower jaw surgery on June 1st. I had rapid palate expansion in June of 2008 and lost over 20 lbs. I have been told that this surgery will be more involved and may possibly involve being wired shut. The last time I was able to eat soft foods but it's my understanding everything will be liquid form this time around.

For the people who had this surgery, how much weight did you lose? I went into it last time at 160 lbs and got down to 135 lbs which is far too light for me. I am going into this surgery weighing 175 lbs hoping it will be better.

Thanks so much!

Kim
http://www.jawdiaries.com

marycotter5678

#2 Post by marycotter5678 »

Hi. I had upper and lower jaw surgery 2 weeks ago and was very worried about weight loss. I was 98lbs at 5'2" going into this surgery. I only lost 3lbs.
I am on a no chew diet so only blended stuff for 6 weeks. The first few days I was having trouble swallowing and could mostly take very liquidy stuff so I drank a lot of broth and protein shakes. After I was able to swallow better, I pretty much blended anything - fish, meat, potato -- I pretty much take a regular dinner plate and just blend it.
I also add 2-3 tablespoons of oil (grapeseed, extra virgin olive, walnut and/or flaxseed) to soups and veggie shakes that I drink. Oil has 120cal per tablespoon! In addition, I drink BSN True Mass 2x/day --- 1 serving has 630cals.
Hope this helps you!

Double-Jaw Surgery: Lefort I & BSSO (May 4, 2010)

kimblebee

#3 Post by kimblebee »

Thank you Mary! How are you feeling? Did you find everything went well?

I was just wondering if you are wired shut or have elastics?

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Kim

marycotter5678

#4 Post by marycotter5678 »

I'm feeling fine. Had a good recovery so far.

I was not wired shut - I don't think they do that anymore. Right after surgery I was able to open my mouth a little (probably almost a finger wide). They just put on elastics - 2 on each side.

If you want here is a link to my blog:

http://myunderbiteadventure.blogspot.com/

Double-Jaw Surgery: Lefort I & BSSO (May 4, 2010)

nineeyes

#5 Post by nineeyes »

Wiring shut doesn't seem to be very common, but my surgeon preferred it so I was wired for about 3 and half weeks after my surgery. Like Mary though I didn't lose much weight, the most was about 8 or so pounds but I gained it back pretty quickly. I lost the most weight the first few days out since I couldn't eat the day of surgery and the swelling made it difficult to eat for a few days after. I pretty much drank shakes and juice constantly throughout the day to maintain my weight and keep up my energy.

Audra

#6 Post by Audra »

I lost 11 pounds in the first week and have maintained that weight loss since then (I'm 4.5 weeks post-op).

After the first week you can take in more calories as you can swallow better and your appetite returns. Meal replacement shakes can contain a fair amount of calories. Adding ice-cream, using whole milk, and adding things like peanut butter add calories.

I blended things like chili (add beef broth), chicken pot pie (add gravy or chicken broth), butter chicken (I even added rice. Add water or coconut milk or milk to thin).

OzzysMom

#7 Post by OzzysMom »

Your body's metabolism has a lot to do with it. I know that I have a tendency to drop weight fast. It took me 6 months to do it, but once I knew that surgery would be coming up, I started to pack on the pounds. I put on 15 lbs and ended up losing 20 after surgery. I would use your previous surgery as a guideline for this one.
Best wishes
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

brok3nwings

#8 Post by brok3nwings »

if your going to be wired probably you will lose some weight..but you can try avoid it by adding calories to your liquid food as already told in here..

i´ve had upper and lower jaw surgery last week and i lost weight on the first day (cause i could not eat) but i gained it pretty fast, but im not wired so i dont know how its gonna be for you. Semi-solid food (that is what i eat now) is pretty easy to have the same calories as a "normal" food ..

kimblebee

#9 Post by kimblebee »

Thanks everyone!!

I met with my surgeon on Thursday and he's pretty confident I won't have to be wired shut! He said he only wires people shut if he absolutely has to and they only account for about 3%. I'm very happy and relieved but still mentally prepared to wake up in recovery wired shut.

I can't believe it is only 3 days away. I'm so nervous! June 1st will be here before I know it. :( I got along fine with my previous upper jaw surgery an expansion but I'm nervous having both jaws broken at the same time. I'm concerned it's going to be really tough. Everything I've ready so far has been really positive though.

Thank you to everyone who replied!

Kimmy