April 2010 Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nineeyes

#211 Post by nineeyes »

Awesome Audra. Looks like your braces are off tomorrow - let us know how it turns out.

I have at least a month or so before mine are off. A few teeth have to be rotated because a few teeth had some premature contact.

Everything seems back to normal for me now: eating, swelling and feeling are back to the pre-surgery days.

Audra

#212 Post by Audra »

Braces are off!!!!!! I have a tiny space that will be closed by the retainer.

I have essix top and bottom for a couple months. Then I'll get bonded retainers and will wear the essix only at night.

The removal of the braces was fast - like 5 minutes tops. Then the glue gets polished off. The ortho came in and did some "manicuring" of the teeth. I got impressions and sent back 3.5 hours later for the retainers.

The top retainer is "active" to close the space. They apparently over-corrected because the retainer did not fit at all. So I have more impressions and go to pick up the upper retainer in about an hour. The bottom one fits fine and is quite comfortable.

Teeth and bite look great. I am ecstatic. This has been a LONG journey.

Now all that I have left is some numbness of the lower left chin and bottom lip, but I have some feeling there - just not all of it. So I'm hoping it comes back over time.

nineeyes

#213 Post by nineeyes »

Sounds great, I'm glad you are happy with the results after all you have gone through. Is eating any better/easier with the brace off?

I'm hoping the next appointment is when mine are removed - the sores I'm getting from the braces rubbing my cheeks is getting tiresome.

Audra

#214 Post by Audra »

YES! Eating is so much easier. I was constantly biting my cheeks before and I couldn't figure out how to eat with my mouth closed. Now I no longer bite my cheeks - I guess residual swelling (even though I don't have much left) and those pesky brackets were the culprit. I am also getting better at eating with my mouth closed. I guess the newness of where the jaws now are, and my all meeting properly, which I'm not used to, and all the metal hardware still in there was just too much.

I too was getting tired of all the sores. I hope you have good news at your next appointment.

I have to say that I was so anxious to get the surgery over and done with and was really irritated at having to wait 9 months after the orthodontist told me I was "ready" for surgery. But I'm glad now that I had all the "finishing" done beforehand. After the surgery I REALLY wanted to be done with everything. I'm glad that I had that 9 months now for all of the detailing to be done and for all my teeth to stabilize.

nineeyes

#215 Post by nineeyes »

Wow, its been a while since the last post. I finally got the braces off and I thought I'd check here in case any of you guys are still around. Hopefully everyone is doing well nearly 6 months after surgery.

Braces off

Before surgery