15mm jaw misalignment qualify for surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Schnapple

15mm jaw misalignment qualify for surgery?

#1 Post by Schnapple »

Hi,

Basically my right jaw is longer than my left jaw by 15mm. I also have a slight open-bite.

Is the 15mm severe enough to qualify for surgery on the nhs?

Emmauk

#2 Post by Emmauk »

Yes i would think so. I have an open bite i believe my measurement was 12mm and i qualify for NHS treatment. I dont know how much movement there will be through wearing the braces but there hasn't been any question about if i am covered by nhs. Your OD should be able to advise you on your specific problems.

Schnapple

#3 Post by Schnapple »

Emmauk wrote:Yes i would think so. I have an open bite i believe my measurement was 12mm and i qualify for NHS treatment. I dont know how much movement there will be through wearing the braces but there hasn't been any question about if i am covered by nhs. Your OD should be able to advise you on your specific problems.
When you say 12mm, is that the measurement of the open bite, or your asymmetric jaw measurement difference?

Emmauk

#4 Post by Emmauk »

To be honest i dont know, when i went in for my first consult over a year ago he was calling out all the different measurements for his nurse to write down, then at the end he said that my bottom jaw needed to be moved forward significantly and the top jaw needed to be rotated.

Moving the top jaw up was to make the bite better and to help make sure nothing tries to go back to how it was but the real movement is to move the bottom jaw forward.

Before this appointment i did do a lot of research and i did manage to find an nhs reference page to what is covered and not and i seem to remember 6 or 8mm but could be wrong.

isolde

#5 Post by isolde »

Your orthodontist needs to refer you to the NHS hospital firstly; and if it helps, my total movement was less than yours and I had it with the NHS, no problems...I think I had 9mm or 10 or something, can't remember exactly. top and bottom combined.