Rubber Bands vs. Jaw Surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ashes90

Rubber Bands vs. Jaw Surgery

#1 Post by Ashes90 »

I've been meaning to ask this for a while now. I was told by three orthodontists including the one I chose (when I was going through the consultation phase) that I would need corrective upper jaw surgery. I have Malocclusion Class III; which means I have an under bite but not by very much. In fact, jaw surgery could be avoided completely considering how minuet the problem is.

My ortho has it scheduled to ask me about jaw surgery for the fifth time when I go in for my next adjustment the end of this month. I've been telling him since he first brought it up after the actual application of my braces that I needed to wait until well after the braces treatment is done so I'll have insurance and what not to cover the cost of such a ridiculously costly procedure.

But I'm wondering, considering how minuet the problem really is, could rubber bands on the brackets be an alternative to jaw surgery? Granted, it'll take a lot longer to see any progress and perhaps will give me more headaches (like the rubber bands I have on now do) but it'll cost a lot less than jaw surgery. In fact, it'll technically be free considering it'll be part of the braces treatment. Just wondering if I should bring this up to my ortho or maybe start doing it on my own?

I don't want to screw up whatever plan my ortho has for my teeth because I've been waiting nearly a decade to get these darn things. But I also don't want to end up with an insanely large medical bill 10 years down the road when I'll want to save for having children.

BracketRacket

#2 Post by BracketRacket »

My ortho has it scheduled to ask me about jaw surgery for the fifth time when I go in for my next adjustment the end of this month. I've been telling him since he first brought it up after the actual application of my braces that I needed to wait until well after the braces treatment is done so I'll have insurance and what not to cover the cost of such a ridiculously costly procedure.

Your bite and teeth placement needs to be tweaked after jaw surgery, so it's not usually something that can wait until after braces.

If you are not going to have surgery, your ortho should have been told, clearly, before starting treatment. As is, you should make it clear ASAP, so that a plan can be laid out. Your treatment would have differences if you are a surgical case as opposed to how it (if it can be) would be handled non-surgically. You need to know what your options are, so that you can make any decisions and have the correct treatment.
In fact, jaw surgery could be avoided completely considering how minuet the problem is.
Is that in your determination, or your ortho's? If there is a non-surgical option, again, you need to make it clear that that is what your treatment path should be.

sauerkraut

#3 Post by sauerkraut »

I'm with BracketRacket here. As I understand it (and I’m no expert by any means) your whole treatment differs right from the outset depending on whether you’re working towards surgery or not. If your ortho has been treating you as a surgical case you could find he has to undo just about everything he’s done so far if you decide against surgery now. Which would mean yet more delay and, presumably, expense.

If three separate orthos have told you you need surgery does that not suggest medical necessity? Maybe that’s a basis for trying to claim the treatment on insurance?

Speak with your ortho! Coz it sounds like you’ve got very different goals at the moment and that can’t end happily.

Good luck!
SARPE: Sept 2007
Braced: May 2008
BSSO: Nov 2010
Debraced: March 2011

Nightmere

RUBBER BANDS VS JAW SURGERY

#4 Post by Nightmere »

I too am going throught the same process except I had 1 surgery already to expand my upper jaw. It's been a year and a half and a nightmere at that. Anyhow I am told I may have to have yet another surgery to correct the final bite. I am now in the process of the rubber bands so they say in most cases it can work, it just takes time and patience. So I too am waiting to see what happens. Sometimes I think its crazy to have another surgery but what does a person do when you have come this far. My Ortho and surgeon are working together so I guess you just have to find the right one and put trust in them. Just seems like forever! Good luck on your end.

ColoradoGirl

#5 Post by ColoradoGirl »

Hi Ashes90,

In my own case, I had orthodontic treatment for 2+ years in my teens; my teeth were aligned enough that my smile looked good and I was relatively happy--even though the ortho told me surgery would probably be the best option.

As fate would have it, my lower jaw really didn't grow after my early teenage years, and I developed pretty severe TMJ and condylar reabsorbtion; approximately 16 years later, I've finally chosen the surgery route.

I'm happy with my decision, but I also think that if your symptoms don't disturb your nomral life (as in talking, chewing, sleeping well, etc.), it might be best to see what non-surgical treatment can do for you. But, if your ortho thinks that your symptoms can't be eliminated by braces--or if you try braces and they don't work to your satisfaction--you should maybe consider surgery. It is an extreme route, though, and I think it's worthwhile to be sure it's really what you need. Just my two cents, though!

Good luck,
M

barbschm

Re: Rubber Bands vs. Jaw Surgery

#6 Post by barbschm »

Coloradogirl - I too have condylar resorption. I'm curious to know what kind of surgery you had to deal with this? Did the resorption cause you to have an open bite?