SARPE Surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CoastieAsh

#1381 Post by CoastieAsh »

Hello All!

I just got my SARPE put in on Tuesday. So two days post op and I have swelling, every now and then a little bleeding in my nose. Some bruising. But overall I think I am doing great! I am still on a liquid diet which doesn't bother me too much because I havn't had an appetite, probably due to the meds. Im not in much pain, my face is quite numb and tingly due to the nerves being moved during my surgery. I go in on Monday for my first turn of the SARPE. They want to expand my upper jaw somewhere between 5 and 6 mm.

I have posted to my blog with some pictures!

I will keep you all updated!

Ashleigh

sauerkraut

#1382 Post by sauerkraut »

Sorry, CoastieAsh, only just seen this. Hope you're still doing well. Have you finished expanding yet?

I've grown quite sentimentally attached to this SARPE thread (even though it's a long time since my surgery) so I hope new Sarpies will keep it alive :D
SARPE: Sept 2007
Braced: May 2008
BSSO: Nov 2010
Debraced: March 2011

CoastieAsh

#1383 Post by CoastieAsh »

sauerkraut, thanks for keeping in touch with the newbies :). I have done 15 turns, I am not really sure how many turns I have to do. I have an appointment today that I am getting ready to go to so maybe I am done. Who knows. They wanted to expand me 5 or 6 mm. So we will see how the appointment goes today and what I should expect now.

alansvt

#1384 Post by alansvt »

Hello I just had my surgery on April 12. So far I have turned it 11 clicks so thats should be about almost 3 mm....I was told to keep clicking till Friday...Then on monday he will wire it closed or something like that..... Anyways so far so good... I just have lots of pressure but other then I am doing good....

I will keep in touch

DrBlur

#1385 Post by DrBlur »

I'm supposed to hear from the oral surgeon today when I will be having my procedure. My orthodontist told me he wants me to turn it 3 times a day for a week and then he wants to see me to check the progress...he said we need to do it fast since I'm an adult, so this should be interesting
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

CoastieAsh

#1386 Post by CoastieAsh »

Dr. Blur,

I was done turning in a week, so it does go pretty swiftly. I only did 15 turns which amounted to between 5 and 6mm.

My RPE has been tied off and they place acrylic over the wire. I go back in a month for a check up and then the following month I get braces on my bottem teeth which is fairly straight. By July or August I should have braces on the top!

Hope all goes well!

DrBlur

#1387 Post by DrBlur »

^I see. He wants me to do 3 turns a day for at least a week and then he'll assess it. I already am fully braced, top and bottom, although he said he put on light gauge wire for only minor movement...he's going to do the "major movement" after my SARPE and expander are finished. So I can expect the expander to stay in some months after I'm done turning?
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

Hyrule

#1388 Post by Hyrule »

just go my sarpe surgery today. I'm swollen a little and i got some nosebleed but i'm walking face down with my both nostril plugged with kleenex. So far no pain. I'm on anti-inflamatory. But half my face is still frozen. I'm putting 24/7 ice bag around my face to aid with swelling for 48hrs as per doctor order. I cannot also blow in a kleenex for 3 week and complet liquid for 48hres. I have to slurp all the time to swallowing my saliva. But Everything is playing as planned so far. I drank a chocolate tofu shake earlier ... very good. keep you guys posted.

Hyrule

#1389 Post by Hyrule »

Well day 1 after my SARPE surgery. I have to say that this surgery is quite easy to go♦ thru from what i`ve read on the web. My energy level is almost the same as before the surgery ( ok i'm still young 27yo) I have no pain at all anywhere and i'm barely swollen on my cheeks. My upper lip is still numb from the anesthesia but the rest of my face i can feel without any problem. Though my lips are alot dry. Geez what would i give to be able to blow in a kleenex lolll :D The other good new is that the nosebleed is completly stop and I have no nausea at all i can easily digest my shakes without problem.

Hyrule

#1390 Post by Hyrule »

ok this morning the swelling kicked in. I'm swollen alot compared to the other days and my energy level is not as strong as the other days . when is the swelling peak suppose to happen ???

thanks.

BracketRacket

#1391 Post by BracketRacket »

Hyrule, I've heard about days 3-5. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Hyrule

#1392 Post by Hyrule »

thanks for you answer. I'm feeling well even with my swelling. I have to slurp alot because i'm making alot of salive. I'm starting to have some thinkling under my nose as well on the left side must be the anestesia wearing off. It's like my upper mouth is not part of my mouth anymore which is the case. I have a couple of more hours to go with ice then my surgeon want me to apply hot wet towel on my face to activate blood circulation. I hope swelling will go fast. It's bugging to have a puffy face.

a2hopper

#1393 Post by a2hopper »

Hey guys my first time posting. I've been looking for some information on this, i had my SARPE done on april 8th and im in the process of turning it, however it seems like both sides of my upper jaw are settling in at different levels. The different in my 2 front teeth is about 1.5mm and seems like it is increasing ever so slightly as i turn. So even though my surgeon didnt seem to notice or care when i pointed this out to him i was just hoping that someone could tell me this happened to them and everything worked out for the best.

Hyrule

#1394 Post by Hyrule »

If you ask your surgeon and he didnt care or say it wasn't important chances are it's not a bad thing. Honestly i dont know since i've not started to turn and my teeth seem leveled. Though i already have a 2mm gap in my front teeth i have to widen to 10mm. Turning will begin the 5th of may.

Hyrule

#1395 Post by Hyrule »

well... i think i stretched one of my stitches... i had a small bleeding right in the middle up under my nose. Nothing to big to worry about but it's bothering anyway.